Sign in to follow this  

Would you consider buying a house with a previous claim on subsidence?

We are in the process of buying a house with a some subsidence history, and am wondering if any of you have any experience of house with this. Is it a common thing in Sheffield?

There were no cracks visible and the vendors said that they hadn't noticed any new cracks since they got remedial work done(just filling up cracks no underpinning) in 1996.

They also got their insurance company to get report done again and it says it is happy to keep on insuring and although there are some hairline cracks it is expected of a property of that age (victorian/edwardian) and that there doesn't seem to notice anything serious at the moment.

However to cover it self it does say that because of the hot summer of last year it cannot rule out further movement, and also rcommends removing tree that is close by.

I knoe it sounds obvious but what kind of reassurance should i get from the insurance company that it will pay out if needs be in future.

Also what other questions should i be asking and to whom?

Your help will be greatly appreciated thanks!

:confused: :confused:

as long as you get all the insurance certificated from the company who did the work and they still exist etc...

subsidence is common across the region due to the amount of mining that was done. I wouldn't let it put you off.

Originally posted by Cyclone

subsidence is common across the region due to the amount of mining that was done. I wouldn't let it put you off.

And the steep hills.

Just get it in writing from your insurer before your proceed.

It's not exactly the same thing but I have heard stories (they could be just that) about people who have got motor insurance over the telephone and then had an unlucky accident before the cover note arrived and the insurers have denied all knowledge.

I renewed mine on Saturday and asked for a cover note to be faxed to me and they refused, as it wasn't 'company policy'.

thanks for the sound advice , will take heed :smile: