£18.6m for Carrick!

From the Guardian

United pay £18.6m for Carrick

Midfielder passes medical at United's training ground

Georgina Turner

Monday July 31, 2006

Guardian Unlimited

Michael Carrick has become the fifth most expensive player in Manchester United history after today completing a £18.6m move to Old Trafford. Only Rio Ferdinand, Juan Sebastian Veron, Wayne Rooney and Ruud van Nistelrooy have cost more.

The 25-year-old's arrival for such a vast fee perhaps hints at a desperation from the United manager Sir Alex Ferguson to secure at least one new name before the season starts, after a series of rejections and knock-backs from the likes of Mahamadou Diarra, Fernando Torres and John Obi Mikel.

Article continues

"We have targeted several players but in my experience, these things take time," Ferguson said before later confirming the deal had been finalised. "Michael has completed his medical, we are going to be having a press conference on Wednesday I think."

Ferguson insists Carrick's desire to play at Old Trafford proves that the club is still an attractive prospect. However the jury is still out on whether spending a shade under £19m on a stylish but ultimately lightweight midfielder is good business.

Carrick was a major player in Spurs' most successful Premiership campaign last season, missing only three games as the north London club finished fifth. It is worth noting, however, that Tottenham were not beaten in those three matches, and manager Martin Jol has signed seven players capable of playing in the same position - Didier Zokora, Hossam Ghaly, Danny Murphy, Jermaine Jenas, Tom Huddlestone, Edgar Davids and Teemu Tainio - since last summer for a combined total of just £1m more than United have paid for Carrick.

Yesterday, after Spurs beat Internazionale in a friendly, Jol suggested that Carrick made the switch because United promised to double his wages. As a West Ham player Carrick was linked with several other clubs, including Portsmouth and Arsenal, before opting to join Spurs after being offered £25,000-a-week in 2004.

Carrick will begin training as a United player tomorrow and could make his debut at some stage during this weekend's Amsterdam tournament.

Meanwhile, Tottenham defender Ledley King underwent an operation today after a scan revealed his knee injury was worse than first thought. "Ledley had an operation this afternoon and he will be back playing in five or six weeks," said Jol. "We have to get on with it but it is a blow."

Now Carricks a pretty good player, I actually wanted United to go for him when he was at West Ham and our midfield already looked to be running down , but 18.6 million that's just ridiculous, I really hope I'm wrong but there's no way he's worth that.

I can't believe the utter shambles that is Utd's scouting network, we could have gone for Carrick years ago but instead instead we ****** away far more than Spurs spent on him for on the likes of DjembaX2 & Miller. Now seemingly chastened by those mistakes whilst the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs are signing promising young midfielders for small fees from all over the place and successfully fitting them into their sides Utd can think of nothing other than to throw obscenely large amounts at cash at Spurs for a player who’s nothing special. I really don’t think I’m going to enjoy this season.

My personal opinion.. £18m down the drain again :roll:

And thats our problem at the moment.

And I know people wont agree but I'll say it again peeps- fergie out.

To recoup £10m for a bloke who scores over 20 goals a season and then we splash out £18m on a player who to be honest, I dont class that much- summats going on.

And where are our other signings- because lets face it, saha isnt going to set the world alight, I cant see rossi scoring loads his season up front and Paul Scholes still from what I hear has problems with his sight- its not 100% yet.

Its all going belly up for us at the moment from what I can see.

Rubbish.

The fee is £13m down.

The other 5.6m is based on things like whether he wins 50 caps (which if it happens will be 3-4 years away), and if United win the Champions League (which will make the money seem completely irrelevant)

Consider this - Arsenal paid about 11m down for Reyes, but if you take into account all the add ons, its more than 18.6.

Now I ask you, is Carrick less of a player than Reyes??

No.

P.S Vieira to United this week.

Last year we lacked creativity (Carrick) and steel (Vieira) in the middle. In addition, Ruud had gone in my opinion.

The future is not as gloomy as Angelus suggests! But then, it never is.

Whatever the the fee, ( I've read that it's £14m down and then a sliding scale of appearance and success based add-ons) Spurs have taken Utd to the cleaners on this one, given that Carrick had refused to sign a new contract and told everyone he wanted to go to ManU. Spurs also splashed out on Zakora to replace him months ago and have admitted they would have taken £12m. It shows who's calling the shots in the transfer market at the moment and it isn't ManU.

I don't think Ferguson has done very well in the transfer market since the inspired signings of Keane, Schmeichal and Cantona and they're all a long time ago.

Its not that bad of a deal, he probs will turn out to be an investment.

Well with a bit of juggling about I've got Carrick on my Fantasy League as he now has a Man Utd shirt on on site. My team is now complete and I am ready to kick ass even with only 1 Chelsea player on my squad, unless Ashley Cole comes to us. I think Carrick will do quite well.

By the way, Have you got your squad ready yet Angelus or are you still looking for your dummy you spat out the other day? :hihi:

P.S Vieira to United this week.

Viera has just signed for Inter Milan, for £6.3m.

Now he's an ageing player and has lost some of what made him great, but for that price it's not a bad signing at all.

Viera has just signed for Inter Milan, for £6.3m.

Now he's an ageing player and has lost some of what made him great, but for that price it's not a bad signing at all.

Not exactly breaking news, but unsure why he issued a "come and get me plea" to United, then signs for Inter.

Why risk antagonising Arsenal fans?

Not exactly breaking news, but unsure why he issued a "come and get me plea" to United, then signs for Inter.

Why risk antagonising Arsenal fans?

Did he issue one? I don't think Arsenal fans are bothered about him. he was continually agitating for a move while he was there, refusing to renew his contract etc. most Arsenal fans i know are just overjoyed to have got £13m or so for a disinterested player that could easily have gone on a free.

Did he issue one? I don't think Arsenal fans are bothered about him. he was continually agitating for a move while he was there, refusing to renew his contract etc. most Arsenal fans i know are just overjoyed to have got £13m or so for a disinterested player that could easily have gone on a free.

Well, he was quoting as saying "Every player would love to play for united. It might be tricky after my time at Arsenal, but who knows?"

Thought it odd that he would say that.

I am gutted. As an passionate follower of English football teams like Liverpool, Man Utd and even Arsenal have missed out on what could be the bargain of the summer. 6.75 million move to Inter Milan for Vieira who proved at the last world cup he is still one of the finest box-to-box midfielders you can have in your team. I think Carrick and Vieira is a midfield partnership made in heaven too be honest, Carrick likes to hang back and dictate the tempo of play and has a selection of fantastic passing skills whilst Vieira does like to break up play and venture forward.

Although having said all that, Paul Scholes firing on all cylinders is also a perfect foil for Carrick...Maybe Sir Al hasn't totally lost it yet :thumbsup:

Although having said all that, Paul Scholes firing on all cylinders is also a perfect foil for Carrick...Maybe Sir Al hasn't totally lost it yet :thumbsup:

Who's going to win the ball in midfield? Carrick is more of a creative midfielder, not a hardman.