Sign in to follow this  

Using colons and semi -colons.

I know all about full stops, and commas,but have forgotten when to use colons and semi-colons. Can anyone give me an example of when they can be used ?

A colon is a punctuation mark used to introduce a list or a following example.It may also be used before a second clause that expands or illustrates the first: He was very cold: the temperature was below zero.

A semi-colon can be used to separate two main clauses in a sentence:

I liked the book; it was a pleasure to read.

This could also be written as two separate sentences:

I liked the book. It was a pleasure to read.

However, where the two clauses are closely related in meaning (as in the above example), a writer may prefer

to use a semi-colon rather than two separate sentences.

Semi-colons can also be used to separate items in a list if these items consist of longer phrases. For example:

I need large, juicy tomatoes; half a pound of unsalted butter; a kilo of fresh pasta, preferably tagliatelle; and a jar of black olives.

In a simple list, commas are used.

From the National Literacy Strategy...:thumbsup:

The one I find the hardest to decide on is the one where it separates the two clauses. If it expands the meaning, go for semi, if it elaborates it go for the colon.

A colon is a punctuation mark used to introduce a list or a following example.It may also be used before a second clause that expands or illustrates the first: He was very cold: the temperature was below zero.

A semi-colon can be used to separate two main clauses in a sentence:

I liked the book; it was a pleasure to read.

This could also be written as two separate sentences:

I liked the book. It was a pleasure to read.

However, where the two clauses are closely related in meaning (as in the above example), a writer may prefer

to use a semi-colon rather than two separate sentences.

Semi-colons can also be used to separate items in a list if these items consist of longer phrases. For example:

I need large, juicy tomatoes; half a pound of unsalted butter; a kilo of fresh pasta, preferably tagliatelle; and a jar of black olives.

In a simple list, commas are used.

From the National Literacy Strategy...:thumbsup:

Thanks youve explained it very clearly,bet you were a teacher. :thumbsup:

Cooo...you beat me to it, EdnaK!

I've used the semi-colon occasionally in creative writing but I can't recollect ever using a colon.

George Orwell wrote one of my favourite novels, 'Coming up for Air', wthout even using a semi-colon. :)

Gawd your lucky to get commas and full stops in the tripe i write but i seem to manage.

Thanks youve explained it very clearly,bet you were a teacher. :thumbsup:

I am one but six weeks of Why don't you? and I'll not remember a thing!:thumbsup:

Cooo...you beat me to it, EdnaK!

I've used the semi-colon occasionally in creative writing but I can't recollect ever using a colon.

George Orwell wrote one of my favourite novels, 'Coming up for Air', wthout even using a semi-colon. :)

I'll use the colon and semi colons in lists but i tend just to use commas for clauses just in case I'm incorrect!

Didn't we have a teacher on here once that explained all this to us, she made it really interesting, and brought back old school memories, wonder if she's still on the SF.

Didn't we have a teacher on here once that explained all this to us, she made it really interesting, and brought back old school memories, wonder if she's still on the SF.

How the heck have you found the writers section,poppins ? Are you joining us .You wont be able to read my short story if you dont. :hihi:

poppins you are an ex-Sheffield lass, have lived in the US for years and years. How lovely it would be to have you writing a few of your experiences after leaving the UK, the early stages of your new life (without the personal parts of course) and how you felt when you emigrated.

We have several "Writing" Members over in the USA, and a couple of people in Canada in the Group. No doubt their contributions will be made before too long.

Why not give the Group a try, poppins? You know we are fascinated about how it is to leave Blighty and start a new life, have new friends, with all the challenges for people like yourself.

Give it a go..........we are stay-at-home people just dreaming about taking that first step into the unknown. For some of us it is too late, and a dream unfulfilled. You've been there, done that........please give us a taste of it all.

Peter

poppins you are an ex-Sheffield lass, have lived in the US for years and years. How lovely it would be to have you writing a few of your experiences after leaving the UK, the early stages of your new life (without the personal parts of course) and how you felt when you emigrated.

We have several "Writing" Members over in the USA, and a couple of people in Canada in the Group. No doubt their contributions will be made before too long.

Why not give the Group a try, poppins? You know we are fascinated about how it is to leave Blighty and start a new life, have new friends, with all the challenges for people like yourself.

Give it a go..........we are stay-at-home people just dreaming about taking that first step into the unknown. For some of us it is too late, and a dream unfulfilled. You've been there, done that........please give us a taste of it all.

Peter

Well,we are waiting for your reply poppins ?

Colons, semi colons, commas, apostrophies...its all greek to me, I use commas and full stops and the occasional capital letter to start a sentance off with, Im beginning to wish i hadnt played so much truant in school now!