Pink Panther (Restaurant) Broomhill

Can anyone remember the Pink Panther restaurant in Broomhill? It was a well-known eatery throughout the 1970s and 1980s.

What did it become immediately after it was taken over? Did it become the Shiraz straight away, or was there another restaurant between its closure and Shiraz's opening?

I'm well aware that it is now the Balti King. I'm also prepared to be wrong - again.

Can merely confirm the existence of The Pink Panther but afraid can't answer the remaining questions.

Yes I remember this restaurant, I went there quite a few times and had my 18th birthday meal there. There was a lovely Spanish couple running it called Jose and Felicia.

But sorry, I can't remember what it was when it changed over. I think it was something else though before it became the Shiraz.

Only the Bernie Inn near Woodseats had The Steaks as good as the Panther back in the 60/70s. I left Sheffield before The Pink Panther changed ownership.

The Pink Panther was the outcome of an idea by the directors of The Sheffield Lifting Gear Company because they couldn’t find a local restaurant posh enough to entertain their international customers. The restaurant was managed by the lovely Spanish couple Jose and Felicia, the last I heard they had retired back to Spain. Several other local foodies also worked there including another Jose (Joe ) who now owns The Dore Grill.

Why the PP became the Shiraz I don’t know but this was run by a lovely man who lived in a huge house on Kingfield Road, a Mr Din. Sadly his son was immature and raced his mates all in expensive Porsche’s up and down Fulwood Road. One very early morning the son was involved in a fight outside the PP, Dad came to help but suffered a heart attack and died.

The restaurant then became the notorious Balti King.

Edited by IRONMONGER

The Pink Panther was the outcome of an idea by the directors of The Sheffield Lifting Gear Company because they couldn’t find a local restaurant posh enough to entertain their international customers. The restaurant was managed by the lovely Spanish couple Jose and Felicia, the last I heard they had retired back to Spain. Several other local foodies also worked there including another Jose (Joe ) who now owns The Dore Grill.

Why the PP became the Shiraz I don’t know but this was run by a lovely man who lived in a huge house on Kingfield Road, a Mr Din. Sadly his son was immature and raced his mates all in expensive Porsche’s up and down Fulwood Road. One very early morning the son was involved in a fight outside the PP, Dad came to help but suffered a heart attack and died.

The restaurant then became the notorious Balti King.

This is real soap opera stuff, drama in Broomhill! I think I went in once when it was Pink Panther, but never when it was Shiraz