The Big Sheffield Graffiti Thread

Originally posted by melthebell

tbh i prefer to have large colourful pieces and throwups on the walls rather than adverts or just blank grey falling to bits walls.

But you're completely overlooking the whole point that I and several others find objectionable. Companies pay and have permission to advertise. Graffiti "artists" don't seek permission, they force their "work" on to everyone else and someone usually ends up with the bill to clean it up. Like so many others on this thread, my main problem is with the lack of respect and consideration shown by the "artists" and also their dismissive arrogance in assuming we all want to see it.

Is it me, or are we having two threads running concurrently? We have the one entitled "WSK...", and another where I commented about rate payer's having to pay for it to be cleaned off.

:)

ill try to answer as many questions and explain many points on graffiti etc but if i miss something sorry,alot of people have put forwards some great points - for and against

but first i would like people to end the insults and any abuse to one another while during this discussion , so far ive tried to keep myself respectfull and calmed,but its not going to work when so many people keep coming with the hate.

please - let this be a peacefull discussion on graffiti and not let it get stupid

kenh - saying that a 5 year old could produce art like the pictures i gave would be a miracle,i have been doing graffiti for a few years now and i still dont have the skills to produce something that good

i want to get straight the fact that you can ask any single graffiti artist if they think the tagging side is art and noone will say yes,i do not fully agree with tags as they can make an area look quite bummed , but a few well practised handstyles next to a peice can make it look alot better , and not a single graffiti artist will promote swastickas or stupid messages sprayed

we dont spray houses because its a nono

we dont find pleasure in people becoming angry or upset

i would continue but off to work i go,ill come back and pickup where i left off later

people going on about spelling is just stupid,

OFF TOPIC MORONS

graffiti is for people who want to look at it

you dont like,dont look

deal with it,itll keep on happening

Originally posted by THCAyle

OFF TOPIC MORONS

you dont like,dont look

its a bit hard to deal with it when our council tax is going up all the time,if you had to pay it im sure you would understand

Thanks THCAyle for at least beginning a rational post from the graffiti artist's viewpoint. When you return, please would you address this issue raised by t020 -

"Like so many others on this thread, my main problem is with the lack of respect and consideration shown by the "artists" and also their dismissive arrogance in assuming we all want to see it".

This adequately sums up my views. So, in the spirit of engagement, (and I think you'll have noticed the distance I have travelled since we last debated this issue), I am very keen to hear your views about "dismissive arrogance in assuming we all want to see it".

and i dont pay it you say?

do you suddenly know everything about me

my age aswell next?

OFF TOPIC MORONS

you dont like,dont look

It's very hard not to look at it when it's on most walls in some parts of the city.

The difference between a work of modern art hanging in the art gallery and graffiti is that if I don't like modern art I don't go to the art gallery and so can avoid it. That option is not possible when graffiti is all over the public spaces of the city.

I also object to money I pay out on Council Tax having to be used to clean up the walls that this work is plastered on.

As for spelling and punctuation, I'd say it's easier to take on board ideas that you disagree with if they're spelt out and punctuated in a reasonably correct manner.

And calling people morons is not a terribly good way to make friends and influence people.

Joe

and i dont pay it you say?

do you suddenly know everything about me

my age aswell next?

i was suggesting that if you actually paid it you would understand why anyone would object to the said so called ghetto art seeing as they have to pay for the mess to be cleared up

as for your age i dont actually care

Originally posted by amhudson119

Is it me, or are we having two threads running concurrently? We have the one entitled "WSK...", and another where I commented about rate payer's having to pay for it to be cleaned off.

:)

It appears that each time superchrome returns to the subject, he starts a completely new thread. The Mods have merged two threads already, but there is now a further thread going in addition to this.

Can the Mods please have a word with superchrome. Intelligent debate is becoming meaningless in the circumstances.

I do appreciate this kind of art work and I would like to see more "murals" painted around town to liven it up a bit - if organised through proper channels. You can't escape the fact that mostly it is done illegally and as such is nothing more than vandalism.

And you also can't escape the fact that this has been discussed at great length previously!

Originally posted by superchrome

i will keep in touch as much as i can and will anser your questions in short answers, ony on for half an our today, but will be on most days, wsk was established in 1985...i will tell u about the history very soon..but for now im going to meet fista (who i let in wsk in 1994)..in the pub,also there is a new article in this months hip hop conection about Mist1 a good friend of mine who im meeting tonite to chat about a big exibition that will be happening in sheffield in the next couple of weeks,i will try to answer your questions shortly..so find your tallent express yourself and if you cant say it....spray it. nite ...all of you are right in your own way because graffiti art can never be resolved,there is a rite and there is a wrong..but our culture invented it,and you cant forsably stamp out a culture..b-boy (hip hop)stands for break boy,origionates from break dancing graff, scratch djing, ect.

Your post doesn't seem to have any meaning whatsoever. Yes I'm going to meet a friend in the pub later too... big deal.