The Big Sheffield Graffiti Thread

I think you are giving these people some credit by referring to them as ".grafitti artists". I suggest "grafitti scum" would be a better term. And no, I don't see any real difference between causing criminal damage to someones property in this way and stealing a car. The only difference between the two illegal and anti-social acts is the degree, like there is a difference between murder and GBH. If I had to choose between my house being vandalised by this scum and my car being stolen then I'd rather have the car stolen so I find this sort of thing to be much worse. I have taken a look at some of the pictures that show this alleged art and can honestly say that a 5 year old can do better. Even if it was done on private property where we didn't all have to suffer it then it would still be amateurish rubbish. Having had a quick look at the sites that deal with grafitti it is obvious that these are illiterate low lives who seem to think they can dame other peoples hard earned property because it is somehow part of a culture.

A point that may be worth making - why not provide more legal walls for people to paint graffiti on? Thus removing the issues of legality and giving people a place to do something which they will do whether its legal or illegal?

Sort of like needle exchanges for junkies.

Only legal walls I know of are skate parks.

Originally posted by superchrome

i will keep in touch as much as i can and will anser your questions in short answers, ony on for half an our today, but will be on most days, wsk was established in 1985...i will tell u about the history very soon..but for now im going to meet fista (who i let in wsk in 1994)..in the pub,also there is a new article in this months hip hop conection about Mist1 a good friend of mine who im meeting tonite to chat about a big exibition that will be happening in sheffield in the next couple of weeks,i will try to answer your questions shortly..so find your tallent express yourself and if you cant say it....spray it. nite ...all of you are right in your own way because graffiti art can never be resolved,there is a rite and there is a wrong..but our culture invented it,and you cant forsably stamp out a culture..b-boy (hip hop)stands for break boy,origionates from break dancing graff, scratch djing, ect.

Please, please scribble on the walls of our city like a spoilt child desperate to get someone to notice them. I'm fed up seeing my Council Tax being spent on education and improving the environment when it should be spent cleaning up after you and your oh so cool mates have 'bombed graffiti'

I want to be like you, you're so cool!!!!!

the term b boy has nowt to do with anything but break dancing

I fear you're being rather obtuse Ken.

You made the comparison between a violent assault on a pensioner and grafitti, which by any stretch of the imagination is a rather hysterical and ridiculous one more suited to the letter page of the Daily Mail than rational debate.

Once again, I refer readers to my initial post, which introduced the work of soi disant 'guerilla artist' Banksy, who by no stretch of the imagination could be labelled with the pejorative terms 'scum' or 'illiterate low life'. In one of his most provoking works, he took the iconic image of the horrifically burnt Vietnamese child Kim Thi running, arms outstretched, from her ruined village after a napalm attack and superimposed the images of Ronald McDonald and Mickey Mouse holding her hands. I'd link directly to the image but I fear it may require an intellectual leap too far for some of the more delicate sensibilities on here.

If you feel so compelled to use these terms to describe what is a rather low level anti-social behaviour, then you must be driven into a state of apopletic rage at the very real problems in the world today.

100% agree with you sean

the majority of those sheff graff people are middle class, there's not really any culture there, not in a hereditory sense anyway. Im not sure why they all type like that..

tbh i prefer to have large colourful pieces and throwups on the walls rather than adverts or just blank grey falling to bits walls.

If you understood the culture, you'd understand the art.

i will keep in touch as much as i can and will anser your questions in short answers, ony on for half an our today, but will be on most days, wsk was established in 1985...i will tell u about the history very soon..but for now im going to meet fista (who i let in wsk in 1994)..in the pub,also there is a new article in this months hip hop conection about Mist1 a good friend of mine who im meeting tonite to chat about a big exibition that will be happening in sheffield in the next couple of weeks,i will try to answer your questions shortly..so find your tallent express yourself and if you cant say it....spray it. nite ...all of you are right in your own way because graffiti art can never be resolved,there is a rite and there is a wrong..but our culture invented it,and you cant forsably stamp out a culture..b-boy (hip hop)stands for break boy,origionates from break dancing graff, scratch djing, ect.

You're a very sad and delusional individual! If you do a search of the forum, I'm sure you'll find the right type of help.

btw...why on earth do you keep posting the same message on different threads? Have you never heard of originality, or is it that you haven't even read anything on SF?

:confused:

Not another grafitti thread? Evidently so. I'm sure there was a discussion on the merits of grafitti, which went on for a great length.

To summarise my view, it looks downright awful, coupled with the fact that folk's council tax is raised to clean with this mess of our (your) for SCC area) walls absolutely infuriates me!

:)

Originally posted by miniminch

.,;:all examples of punctuation. Do you know how difficult it is to read something when its just a stream of consciousness it is all most impossible do you think you are James Joyce of Virginia wolf both exponents of this irritating and meaning defying art.;.,.;.,.;.,.;.,.;.,.;.,.;.,.;.,.;.,..;..,.;.,,.:rant:

Since we're being pathetically pedantic about punctuation, your post is missing two question marks and at least one full-stop. Rather ironic, don't you agree?

Oh, and it's 'almost'.

And 'it's'.

We painted the streets because the councill in 20 years has never gave us any legall walls so we did it ourselvs..do u think this is rite?

Are the council ill..? ;)

:)