The Big Sheffield Graffiti Thread

Where can I go to check out Mr. Banks then? :)

Originally posted by HarrietStar

yeh banksy is well good! I don't think anyone would want male anatomy on their wall unless they asked, but there's a difference between spraying that everywhere and graffiti art. I don't think anyone condones 'tagging' and pointless offensive graffiti, but some graffiti can be really artistic, and should be considered as public art not an act of vandalism. I don't see why some graffiti art can't be considered as an attractive mural that makes the surrounding area more aesthetically pleasing. In Christiania in Copenhagen there are some amazing graffiti murals that would really brighten up sheffield city centre :)

The point is that it IS vandalism, no matter how much you claim to like it, because it is done on other peoples' property. If these graffiti artists are so talented, why don't they get some canvasses and do their art on their own property rather than on the property of people/businesses/the council?

Originally posted by pacman

Where can I go to check out Mr. Banks then? :)

www.banksy.co.uk

(edited to say - that's his site, but it seems to have vanished :confused: )

There's some pics here: http://www.squall.co.uk/squall.cfm/ses/sq=72/ct=3

:)

t020 - everything's black and white to you, isn't it? graffiti art is meant to be seen in public, it's colourful and vibrant. even black and white stenciling can look good - look at banksy's stuff... you might dismiss it as vandalism, but it's clever and has something to say, unlike the rubbish that's displayed on ad hoardings

Originally posted by ms de meaner

t020 - everything's black and white to you, isn't it? graffiti art is meant to be seen in public, it's colourful and vibrant. even black and white stenciling can look good - look at banksy's stuff... you might dismiss it as vandalism, but it's clever and has something to say, unlike the rubbish that's displayed on ad hoardings

Ad hoardings are hired, thus the advertiser has the *right* to display things on them. Maybe a graffiti artist should do the same? If they paint on something that doesn't belong to them and do not have the owners permission, they are nothing but vandals.

In answer to the original question, grafitti at it's most pointless can be seen in the Hollybank Ave/Crescent garage site in Intake.

Daubed by mindless morons, in fact they make morons look gifted, various tags are plastered around, amazingly in some cases by individuals that are incapable of spelling their own name.

This is total Vandalism. Where I believe certain types of paint applicators should be deposited within the orifices the offenders goes without saying.

DROME

CRAG

MUNCHIE

et al

I'm not sure if its been filled in over the last few days, but the subway linking the railway station to the bus station side if the road is full of graffiti.

Has anyone else been down there? I tired it the other day since it will soon be gone. It looks like there was to be an underground extension of it right into the rail station, but it was never finished. Since it doesn't really get you anywhere I think most people ignore it.

Originally posted by t020

The point is that it IS vandalism, no matter how much you claim to like it, because it is done on other peoples' property. If these graffiti artists are so talented, why don't they get some canvasses and do their art on their own property rather than on the property of people/businesses/the council?

The reason they don't do it on their own property is simple. They need to justify their sad and pointless lives by leaving their mark everywhere. They're just like a dogs p*ssing on a lamppost.

Where I live they've worked out that it's pointless to spray their tags on the walls, because the council paints them out all the time, so they do it on the actual shop windows instead. That means the people who work in the shops have a long and messy cleaning job to do every couple of days before they start work.

After that they started scratching their tags into the glass shop windows with a nail or other sharp object. So it becomes permanent.

I agree with t020. Most graffiti is not art. It's malicious vandalism by mindless morons

To the narrow minded like t020 graffiti is seen as nothing but vandalism. Graffiti doesn't have to be placed on public areas although it often is. Area's like the Basketball court on Abbeydale where graffiti artists are allowed to paint look fantastic. Many graffiti artists like Fista and Banksy have gone on to University to make the most of their talents. In France they have many area's where artists are allowed to paint, maybe this country should think about doing the same. The kids that go round spraying dubz on peoples houses are nothing but immature vandals. But those who paint great pieces of artwork that takes time and planning are artists. They who spray on area's like train tracks etc. What would you rather be starring at on a train? A blank wall or art? A lot of the real artists don't spray where their pieces will be removed as they know they are upsetting people.

Banksy recently placed one of his pieces up in the Tate gallery and it was a whole day untill it was taken down off the wall. I think it's funny that most hate graffiti yet hundreds were starring at his piece in the tate.

Originally posted by mojoworking

They're just like a dogs p*ssing on a lamppost.

:D :D :D

Originally posted by J-Blaze

To the narrow minded like t020 graffiti is seen as nothing but vandalism. Graffiti doesn't have to be placed on public areas although it often is. Area's like the Basketball court on Abbeydale where graffiti artists are allowed to paint look fantastic. Many graffiti artists like Fista and Banksy have gone on to University to make the most of their talents. In France they have many area's where artists are allowed to paint, maybe this country should think about doing the same. The kids that go round spraying dubz on peoples houses are nothing but immature vandals. But those who paint great pieces of artwork that takes time and planning are artists. They who spray on area's like train tracks etc. What would you rather be starring at on a train? A blank wall or art? A lot of the real artists don't spray where their pieces will be removed as they know they are upsetting people.

Banksy recently placed one of his pieces up in the Tate gallery and it was a whole day untill it was taken down off the wall. I think it's funny that most hate graffiti yet hundreds were starring at his piece in the tate.

Graffiti can look good when it's done well, that's true. Unfortunately, most of it is not done well and it's usually done without permission on someone else's property.

yeh i think it's a problem that its done on privatley owned property.. but, most of the places it's done in is public space, and as a member of the public i personally have no problem with walls being used for art, i guess the majority would rather look at plain bricks or stone though.

I think it would be great if there could be more designated areas for graffiti art in the city to attract artists and hopefully defer 'vandals' from private property.

We should just stick some school desks on pavements. They'd have a whale of a time.