The Big Sheffield Graffiti Thread

And I'm not a muppet, you graffiti artist.

u are a muppet and im sure many people would agree. i want to see you type something other than "vandalism" on this thread as we get the point on your thoughts. if you cant think of anything new stop writing the same old ****!!

Gentlemen, that last exchange made me spit out my tea. :) I'm going to close this thread for the evening before somebody says something we all regret.

Give me a shout tomorrow to reopen it.

We're open again. Let's keep it civil folks :) Thanks!

3 things:

1) Whether it looks good or not is subjective, as I've said before.

2) People can let their property get run down if they really want to - it's THEIR property so their choice

3) Graffiti doesn't just get put on run down buildings anyway

To be fair, I agree with t020 here (unusually), although the second point I think needs a little refinement.

To quote:-

1) Undoubtedly true, and personally I find this type of daubing ugly.

2) Actually, there are regulations to do with the condition of a building, structurally, and I'm fairly sure aesthetically. Were the condition of a building to be detrimental STRUCTURALLY to an adjacent property, then the local authority can legally carry out the work on the defective building and invoice the owner (such as damp, etc.). I'm not so sure about the AESTHETIC values, but I'll check it out and post again. I only make the point as one can't 'just' let any property fall into disrepair, as I'm sure you didn't mean to imply.

3) It certainly doesn't.

2) Actually, there are regulations to do with the condition of a building, structurally, and I'm fairly sure aesthetically. Were the condition of a building to be detrimental STRUCTURALLY to an adjacent property, then the local authority can legally carry out the work on the defective building and invoice the owner (such as damp, etc.). I'm not so sure about the AESTHETIC values, but I'll check it out and post again. I only make the point as one can't 'just' let any property fall into disrepair, as I'm sure you didn't mean to imply.

For what its worth, Enforcement Officers (within the Planning Department) can take action against the owners of properties that fall into disrepair and aesthetically damage the visual amenity of the locality. BUT usually they will only take a look at a property if there is a complaint from a member of the public. Rarely will they (in my experience) do it off their own backs largely because of the workload they have from complaints from the public.

Personally i think graffiti can play a very positive role in creating vibrant, interesting and exciting urban spaces.

Your friendly town planner (not in Sheffield though so don't mither me with PMs asking why I didn't allow your conservatory),

Barra

1) Undoubtedly true, and personally I find this type of daubing ugly.

you find this ugly?

The-latest

what kind of a hippy are you? sound more like a nazi to me. ICH MAG BARE WALLS MINE FUHRER! ha ha.

Right fair enough, we are not supposed to write on walls but people have been doing it for hundreds and hundreds of years so were not gonna stop.

like this for a trackside too, livens things up a bit.

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/3825/newcastlegraff7pj.jpg

For what its worth, Enforcement Officers (within the Planning Department) can take action against the owners of properties that fall into disrepair and aesthetically damage the visual amenity of the locality. BUT usually they will only take a look at a property if there is a complaint from a member of the public. Rarely will they (in my experience) do it off their own backs largely because of the workload they have from complaints from the public.

Personally i think graffiti can play a very positive role in creating vibrant, interesting and exciting urban spaces.

Your friendly town planner (not in Sheffield though so don't mither me with PMs asking why I didn't allow your conservatory),

Barra

You fib! You didn't grant my conservatory on the technical grounds that I lived in an upper flat at the time ;-)

Seriously though, I do find most of it very ugly, and thanks for saving me the time to search through the regs!

have you looked at the stuff iv posted up man?

you find this ugly?

The-latest

what kind of a hippy are you? sound more like a nazi to me. ICH MAG BARE WALLS MINE FUHRER! ha ha.

Right fair enough, we are not supposed to write on walls but people have been doing it for hundreds and hundreds of years so were not gonna stop.

like this for a trackside too, livens things up a bit.

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/3825/newcastlegraff7pj.jpg

The first link is quite cute actually! However, it's not really representative of most of the graffitti I see here, there and everywhere. The second one is more like what I see, and yes, sorry, but I do find it ugly.

The first link is quite cute actually! However, it's not really representative of most of the graffitti I see here, there and everywhere. The second one is more like what I see, and yes, sorry, but I do find it ugly.

you'd rather look at a grey wall than that? each to there own. it just seems a bit mad to me. i value you opinion tho, unlike T020, who says nothing constructive at all.

ps i know what your saying about the graffiti "here there and everywhere" but like iv said if it wasn't pushed so far underground i think it would raise the bar and you'd get less bad pieces and more good. that said, it might lose some of it's appeal for some writers.

have you looked at the stuff iv posted up man?

Er, yeah ;-) I half agree with you about pieces (although I still find most of them ugly, well, those I've seen), but most of the stuff on the walls *are* tags.