The Big Sheffield Graffiti Thread

Originally posted by mojoworking

After that they started scratching their tags into the glass shop windows with a nail or other sharp object. So it becomes permanent.

I agree with t020. Most graffiti is not art. It's malicious vandalism by mindless morons

i agree that tagging is an eyesore, but no-one's suggesting that it's art. there's a difference between bored teenagers scrawling their names and an interesting stencil or graffiti piece.

Originally posted by ms de meaner

i agree that tagging is an eyesore, but no-one's suggesting that it's art. there's a difference between bored teenagers scrawling their names and an interesting stencil or graffiti piece.

Not when its done on property belonging to other people/business/ the council. It is vandalism, plain and simple. If they like creating art, why not buy a large canvass?

Dear All,

First of all I don't approve of graffitti - it is made by selfish people who mess up our city-scapes. However, just rarely you see something that is amusing or even of great vintage or almost of historical importance. Now what I'm getting at is can anyone remember or know of any graffitti that they can reminisce (sp??) about?? I'll give you 2 examples of the sort of interesting graffitti I mean:

1) At the Nethergreen end of the long wall on the left of Fulwood Road between Nethergreen and Ranmoor there used to be writ in large white letters "HANDS OFF CUBA" . I used to see it twice a day when I went to school in the 60s and 70s. Sigh... I expect it's gone now, and I know it was an eyesore BUT I still "reminisce" about it!! Does it still exist?

2) In the early 60s when I was about 10 we used to drive past terraced houses in Attercliffe with "El off" painted on the doors. At 10 I couldn't work it out. Was it some racial insult against some immigrants who had been driven from their homes? Or was it an abbreviated form of some extremely obscene insult I had yet to hear at the tender age of 10? I had seen the commoner F off but El off?? (I spent some time working on that one... the mind boggles..). Eventually I worked it out - the houses were about to be demolished and the demolishers were being assured the electical supply had been disconnected!!

Well maybe you get the idea - any interesting graffitti worthy of mention (not offensive or back of bog door stuff)?

Regards,

Striver (woz 'ere)

for years (and still now) on the bridge near the turning at The Manchester pub in town it says 'Mick The Wig' - it always makes me laugh for some reason.

Again for years in town (can't put my finger on where just now) it used to say 'Jesus Saves but Tudor nets the rebound'

And for as long as I can remember it's says The Honeytrippers on the railway bridge near the old Davys building at Darnall

Not really graffiti but still everywhere.

GURANGA

Apparently means be happy as I was told by someone who approached me and asked me to say it.

For years Walkley Library had "Dennis the Dung Beetle" painted on the wall. Why?

I remember when the Kelvin Flats were still up, there was a huge piece of Graffitti on the basketball court (?) wall out on the front that read:

"Police are not to blame 100%"

It was written in regard to the Hillsborough disaster.

Also - opposite the Kelvin, there was a bunch of boarded-up shops...I remember allsorts or stuff there...."Serious Posse", "Support the miners". I used to see them all when on the bus going into town.

Finally - I remember "I love you Eileen" on some bridge somewhere, in big, white letters.

Who was that guy that was arrested for LOADS of graffitti....Fist/Fisto/Fista...remember him?

I remember Fista or whatever his name was and his antics annoyed me very much. :mad:

He got jailed for his graffiti but got released early largely due to a campaign by protestors.

Originally posted by Lickszz

I remember Fista or whatever his name was and his antics annoyed me very much. :mad:

He got jailed for his graffiti but got released early largely due to a campaign by protestors.

and wasn't he caught, very shortly after his release, graffiti-ing again? and hauled back up in court again?

vandals should be made to clean every bit of graffiti off the city's streets.

with their own tongues.

PT

You are indeed correct PT.

He was originally sentenced for 5 years but only served a year initially due to the huge campaign to free him. He then got caught again with his new tag 'Ajax' and was sentenced to 11 weeks in jail for criminal damage.

So much for the art foundation course. :rolleyes::mad:

almost every shop door/shutter on Crookes has been attacked by these vandals and their "art". Even the church has some illegible scrawl sprayed on it. My neighbours have had "be back soon" sprayed on their wall five times. Everytime they paint over it the morons come back as promised.

Some parts of the New York subway had amazing work on the walls but that was proper graffitti - not just someone spraying their intials with a can of discarded car paint, but really good, colourful artwork.

When I lived on Kelvin Flats, written on a wall in white chalk were these immortal words ......

This is the wall not a fridge!

What it meant, I have no idea but it stayed on the wall for years and years and was still there when they were demolished. It was right on the edge of the wall and never got washed off with the rain ....... how strange!