The Big Sheffield Graffiti Thread

Originally posted by nomme

"Graffiti" : A drawing or inscription made on a wall or other surface, usually so as to be seen by the public."

Right. Let's get rid of all those cave paintings. What were those cavemen thinking?

Nomme

They didn't live in a supposed civilised society. Graffiti (and fly posters for that matter) make the city look grotty, scummy, dirty, etc. Add to this the smell of urine and you realise why people think Sheffield is a dump. No matter how you dress it up, I think you'll find the majority of people don't like graffiti, be it a tag or "artwork".

No problem with graffiti myself, much rather see expressionism like that than McDonald's signs everywhere.

Anyone read that graphotism mag? Some great stuff in there.

And Style Wars? Remember that!

Anyone know who does the stylised blue cat? I have a question to ask this person...

It's one that can be seen up the side of a building just at the beginning of Ecclesall Rd near the car showroom, and there's one in the underground bit between Safeways and Hanover way/pinders... and I think there's one on Sharrow lane... and probably various other places...

Anyway, I really like it and would like to stick it on a t-shirt, but I think it's probably good form to ask their permission first....

I've still seen 'fista' posted about places

You mean the guy has started up again or someone else is using his tag?

Or did you mean that this is from ages ago and never got cleaned up?

http://www.rudekid.org.uk/

About a kid from Manchester - superb reference doc here:

URBAN GRAFFITI - THE SOCIAL BACKGROUND

Published for the: "LONDON ASSEMBLY ENVIRONMENT COMMITTEE"-

Issue:"Protecting the environment"

To be published in PRINT: 2004

http://www.rudekid.org.uk/readtothedepths.html

yeh I know that guy, he is a friend of a collegue on my boyfriend's uni course, a very long winded link, but my boyfriend knows him.

I think some graffiti can be considered as art, and if you see some of the places in london that have been designated for graffiti such as archway tube station, you can see how beautiful it can be. I agree that tagging is very pointless, and unattractive.

Sheffield used to be covered in allot more graffiti in the early nineties but there was the big cleanup for the games in around '92?

I think it can look great though but should only be in designated areas like skate parks etc where it would get more appreciation anyway.

But unfortunately the roots of graffiti lays in the subways and on the trains in the US and most writers find themselves wanting to emulate or carry on the tradition by tagging trains/underpasses etc.

There's a few good books on the subject like:

Spraycan Art & Subway Art, both written in the late eighties with some great artwork.

No offence guys but would you be entirely happy if someone spraypainted a piccy of the male anatomy on your garden wall?? Nah didn't think so.

Maybe if they painted something cool and asked to do this stuff then it wouldn't be so bad.

The best place in Sheffield for Graffiti is a Basketball Court off Abbeydale Road. It's in the centre of a small park but has some really good pieces. No dubz are allowed there so it looks sick.

Alternatively the whole track to meadhowhall is covered in pieces some still remaining by Fista, Mist, Fisto and lots of the other old bombers.

The Devonshire Green skatepark may have some good graff on it but I've not been there to look for a long time.

Check some of Banksy's stuff out, he's done some great graff.

Originally posted by J-Blaze

No dubz are allowed there so it looks sick.

Oh yeah, "sick, man, innit?". Sick is exactly what graffiti looks like.

yeh banksy is well good! I don't think anyone would want male anatomy on their wall unless they asked, but there's a difference between spraying that everywhere and graffiti art. I don't think anyone condones 'tagging' and pointless offensive graffiti, but some graffiti can be really artistic, and should be considered as public art not an act of vandalism. I don't see why some graffiti art can't be considered as an attractive mural that makes the surrounding area more aesthetically pleasing. In Christiania in Copenhagen there are some amazing graffiti murals that would really brighten up sheffield city centre :)