The Big Sheffield Graffiti Thread

I occasionally have an overwhelming urge to lob rocks through windows, but the council don't provide me with windows to brick.

However, I resist the temptation.

This is a facile argument - the tagging that has adorned walls in Sheffield has had a few aesthetically pleasing examples but most appears to represent ego-tripping for people.

If you want to paint, either paint the inside of your own home or get a canvas.

Joe

yawn........ (not at you nick)

this topic comes up all the time!

i have directed my artistic talents towards doing graphics for posters that are displayed around town legally..... devonshire jam (it's on THIS saturday!) being the latest. anyone seen it? feedback?

And a keyboard with a shift key.

Perhaps he/she also needs to consider that when expressing their art, they should also respect the views of others who may not wish to have that art forced on them every day they see a wall.

But of course, that's probably too difficult a concept for someone who has problems with the spelling of right and wrong, let alone the concepts that are represented by those words.

Joe

Originally posted by KenH

I think it is quite easy to sum up these people. "Scum who need to grow up" would be my definition. Next thing you know it will be considered an art form to steal a car. How about "robbing old ladies by pretending to be from the council" as a form of community drama?

There is, as I'm sure you fully well understand, a world of difference between the illegal use of spray paint and physically assaulting an elderly individual or indulging in a spree of vehicle larceny. That is a ridiculous analogy and sounds like a leader column from the Daily Mail.

definition of 'art'- http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=define%3A+art&meta=cr%3DcountryUK%7CcountryGB

so yes graffiti is art.

off topic but, think of the millions spent on huge sculptures in towns and cities, the council don't ask our opinion on whether it should be spent in that way, it's just put up. controvercial?? (sp?)

MOD: Merged 2 theads on same subject by same op.

Graffiti is often used as a 'marker' by local authorities and police forces as an indication that an area may be 'slipping'.

It's related to the 'zero tolerance' approach where any indication of minor law breaking is jumped on quickly to avoid a culture of tolerance in an area developing.

As for graffiti being art, in a strict definition yes, it is, but so is a Damien Hirst and I wouldn't want that on my bedroom wall either. Most of the issues I have with graffiti (or street art or whatever we want to call it today) are actully to do with permission and respect. The locals haven't given permisison for the art to be 'deployed' and the 'artists' don't erspect the locals enough to ask for that permission.

In that respect it's similar to the situation with local authorities commissioning unwanted and unloved artworks.

Joe

Originally posted by superchrome

i will keep in touch as much as i can and will anser your questions in short answers, ony on for half an our today, but will be on most days, wsk was established in 1985...i will tell u about the history very soon..but for now im going to meet fista (who i let in wsk in 1994)..in the pub,also there is a new article in this months hip hop conection about Mist1 a good friend of mine who im meeting tonite to chat about a big exibition that will be happening in sheffield in the next couple of weeks,i will try to answer your questions shortly..so find your tallent express yourself and if you cant say it....spray it. nite ...all of you are right in your own way because graffiti art can never be resolved,there is a rite and there is a wrong..but our culture invented it,and you cant forsably stamp out a culture..b-boy (hip hop)stands for break boy,origionates from break dancing graff, scratch djing, ect.

.,;:all examples of punctuation. Do you know how difficult it is to read something when its just a stream of consciousness it is all most impossible do you think you are James Joyce of Virginia wolf both exponents of this irritating and meaning defying art.;.,.;.,.;.,.;.,.;.,.;.,.;.,.;.,.;.,..;..,.;.,,.:rant:

My Father had a grafitti tag etched into his car window one morning in the early '90's. I can't say he was too happy about it and I don't think he described it as art when he found it!

Thank you LoopyLoo for your summary and an attempt to define what we are talking about when we use the word graffiti. I found this very helpful, and it clarified some of my thoughts on this issue.

I have looked at the links provided by THCAyle (aka Luke), and I am prepared to admit that I found some of the displays quite good. There is no doubt in my mind now that some graffiti artists do indeed possess talent. Some of the 3D effects were simply amazing. I particularly enjoyed the dragon, and the brilliant colours on another mural. Having clashed with THCAyle on another thread on the subject of graffiti, I admit that these links have altered my opinion about the artistic merit of graffiti. For the record, I will now state that some graffiti art may indeed have intrinsic artistic qualities.

I noted that one of the murals on this link clearly stated that it had been undertaken in consultation with local children. This seems to me to be a way forward. The random and illegal spraying of paint, whether as tags, offensive nazi symbols (a recent case on walls near my house), or as murals is unwelcome. It lowers the tone of a locality, creates the appearance of a sink neighbourhood, and costs a fortune for the council and private householders & businesses to clean up.

No amount of self justification by graffiti artists of their self worth or merit, and no amount of criticism of legal advertising on (paid for) hoardings, can excuse their action. This thread contains lots of valid criticisms of graffiti artists who feel they have a divine right to spray where they chose. I am also sick to death of seeing tags, offensive symbols and scrawlings sprayed on walls, properties, street cabinets, etc.

I am at one with Fearful, t020, BoroughGal, Ousetunes, Strix, sniperwookie and others when we say - don't like it, don't want it, and don't do it!

It seems to me that graffiti artists obtain pleasure simply by antagonising people with their unwelcome actions.

HELLO????????

This vandalism is ILLEGAL, and I think most are missing that fact.

Do those of you who think it's "cool" should be encouraging an illegal act on a U-rated forum?

btw....it doesn't matter whether graffiti appears on private or public property, somebody has to pay for it to be removed....if it's public property, then it's the rate payers, which most of you silly children will probably become one day....and you will be the ones complaining about how much council tax is going up by each year, forgetting the fact that most of the rise is possibly your fault!

:rant: