The Big Sheffield Graffiti Thread

I dont make any pretence to be an artist.

my talents mostly lie in writing (of the literary sort), but graffiti art is easy to get into, and physically not very demanding.

And yes, indeed my mother does not have any issues with graffiti, as long as there is a reason for it.

I found those tory ad campaign posters offensive, and they were dealt with to an extent,

politically inspired stencils, are another good example.

Originally posted by THCAyle

i really cant see how people dont think it looks better

graffiti isnt all scummy and done only in 'ghettos'

most graffiti has a positive message, its trying to brighten up a dull comformist world where everything has to look the same and not have an extra bit of paint on it

Again, assumptions about what I know about graffiti. I know it isn't just done in the "ghettos", how old do you think I am?

And why do you feel that everyone should be as "non-conformist" as you. I quite like conforming in some areas. And conformist doesn't need to be dull - what about a nice clean white wall with trellis and some flowers growing up it? I'm aware of how middle aged and boring this sounds, but I'm trying to illustrate that colour doesn't need to come in the form of spray cans if dull areas upset you so much.

And I'm not saying I don't like it just to p*ss you off, I HONESTLY don't like it. It looks scrubby and chavvy (for want of a better word, I hate the whole chav thing). I could say that I can't see how any WOULD think it looks better....?

Originally posted by THCAyle

i really cant see how people dont think it looks better

graffiti isnt all scummy and done only in 'ghettos'

most graffiti has a positive message, its trying to brighten up a dull comformist world where everything has to look the same and not have an extra bit of paint on it

What if we like the dull, conformist world? I don't think we live in one, but what if we did? Is it your job to force (what is in your own personal opinion) good street decoration on to the rest of us?

Should we all thank you for making our city a nicer place to be?

We dont. Most people in Sheffield hate graffiti. They think it is a niusance, and brings the image of areas down.

You blatantly have no respect for our views.

You are a minority. An unpopular one at that.

Don't think we should all appreciate your 'brightening up' of our city.

Originally posted by jackthedog

You are a minority. An unpopular one at that.

Don't think we should all appreciate your 'brightening up' of our city.

:clap: Well said!

If I catch the little herbert who's decided to brighten up my garden wall, he'll be the one looking colourful when I'm done with him.

Interesting debates - I'll try to summarise, and I'm sure will be corrected very quickly if I have it wrong...........

According to most of the posting here - 'graffitti' seems to fall into one of three catergories.......

1) Tagging

- mindless scribble on other peoples property

- illegal and in no way on this earth to be described as artwork

2) Colourful and more skillfull 3D Names and or pictures

- could be described as a form of art due to the talent required to produce them

- 'acceptable' if with the building owners permission ?

- some still consider this to be 'degrading' to an area

- could encourage Tagging over the top

3) Full colour very skillful pictures - (e.g. Think Northern Ireland or other full sized murals on the sides of houses)

- 'art' due to the skill needed to produce

- 'acceptable' with the building owners permission

- if tasteful - can brighten up an area

IMHO - only example 3 is artwork. There is an example just off hanover way, where the side of a house was decorated to publicise a local youth group (or something like that). It really brightened up the whole area and as the local kids were involved, it made them proud to belong to the community in which they lived.

Anything else, again IMHO - is degrading, mindless, vandalism.

Loopy.

p.s. I appreciate THCAyle and Malibus contributions to the debate and respect there opinions on this....pity the original poster has not stuck around to join in!

I think it is quite easy to sum up these people. "Scum who need to grow up" would be my definition. Next thing you know it will be considered an art form to steal a car. How about "robbing old ladies by pretending to be from the council" as a form of community drama?

i will keep in touch as much as i can and will anser your questions in short answers, ony on for half an our today, but will be on most days, wsk was established in 1985...i will tell u about the history very soon..but for now im going to meet fista (who i let in wsk in 1994)..in the pub,also there is a new article in this months hip hop conection about Mist1 a good friend of mine who im meeting tonite to chat about a big exibition that will be happening in sheffield in the next couple of weeks,i will try to answer your questions shortly..so find your tallent express yourself and if you cant say it....spray it. nite

Did he read any of the posts on here ????????/

i will keep in touch as much as i can and will anser your questions in short answers, ony on for half an our today, but will be on most days, wsk was established in 1985...i will tell u about the history very soon..but for now im going to meet fista (who i let in wsk in 1994)..in the pub,also there is a new article in this months hip hop conection about Mist1 a good friend of mine who im meeting tonite to chat about a big exibition that will be happening in sheffield in the next couple of weeks,i will try to answer your questions shortly..so find your tallent express yourself and if you cant say it....spray it. nite ...all of you are right in your own way because graffiti art can never be resolved,there is a rite and there is a wrong..but our culture invented it,and you cant forsably stamp out a culture..b-boy (hip hop)stands for break boy,origionates from break dancing graff, scratch djing, ect.

We painted the streets because the councill in 20 years has never gave us any legall walls so we did it ourselvs..do u think this is rite?

Perhaps I'm missing something but would superchrome be better off with Janet and John Books or a nice set of crayons?

Superchrome, you are starting new threads everywhere instead of adding to this one...... could you keep replies in one place?