The Big Sheffield Graffiti Thread

Originally posted by t020

No, but they don't all do that and besides, throwing paper in the bin isn't much effort or expense compared to cleaning paint off a wall.

Yes, but the messages on the paper infiltrate your brain and make you buy things you don't want or need. Whereas cleaning graffiti off a wall takes discipline and patience - it's a task full of virtue.

Originally posted by Greenback

Yes, but the messages on the paper infiltrate your brain and make you buy things you don't want or need. Whereas cleaning graffiti off a wall takes discipline and patience - it's a task full of virtue.

Oh, please. :rolleyes:

Only a complete and utter prat buys anything they don't want or need just because it's advertised.:loopy:

Originally posted by markham

Only a complete and utter prat buys anything they don't want or need just because it's advertised.:loopy:

Then why do companies use advertising? Why do people buy Coca-Cola when it tastes so bad? Why do people buy BMW cars when they're such rubbish machines?

Advertising has a very powerful effect on the sub-conscious. Otherwise, billions of pounds wouldn't be spent on it.

Originally posted by t020

Oh, please. :rolleyes:

Is that what passes for a counter-argument? :)

Just trying to liven up an incredibly dull thread that's turned into a petty battle between pomposity and stupidity. :rolleyes:

Then why do companies use advertising? Why do people buy Coca-Cola when it tastes so bad? Why do people buy BMW cars when they're such rubbish machines?

a. Because companies are targeting the prats who buy owt that's advertised.

b. The taste of Coca Cola is an individual thing. Some people obviously like the taste. I doubt they drink it just cos its advertised. I also doubt they'd stop drinking it if the adverts were suddenly pulled.

c. BMW have fewer adverts - to my knowledge - than Ford, so I'd suspect they're bought on independent recommendation and reviews.

d. I repeat, only a prat buys as a response to advertising.

Originally posted by markham

a. Because companies are targeting the prats who buy owt d. I repeat, only a prat buys as a response to advertising.

Ha, really? Why do you think companies spend billions of pounds on advertising then? Unless there really are that enough prats around to make it worthwhile for them...

*looks around*

Hmm, maybe you have a point :D

There are two types of advertising Greenback. There's the public information ads for such things as smoke detectors, Blood donors etc, which are aimed at people's wellbeing. These are the ones aimed at peoples consciences, and are designed to help us.

Then there's the product ads for things like Coke etc. Why do Coca Cola advertise? Christ knows. There can't be anybody on earth who hasn't already heard of it or tried it. This being the case, those who like it will buy it anyway, those who don't like it won't.....no matter how often its advertised. Therefore the adverts are wasted and only serve to increase the price to cover it. Stupidity really!!

And yes, there are probably enough prats around! Especially the ones who buy a product simply because its advertised by a celeb. (who incidently is employed by that company for the duration of the 'shoot')

But I digress.

I would sooner bin endless leaflets, than have to pay to clean my property of unwanted graffiti.

yes why not try your bedroom, it'll keep u out of trouble from the police.

but you will get in loads of s...t with your parents.

not that you listen anyway.

Originally posted by sensuous

Has this anything to do with this thread, or is this a rogue posting from another thread? I've lost the plot here!!:confused:

Originally posted by sensuous

Forgive me my 'thickness' sensuous.:rolleyes:

You're obviously answering the thread title. Sorry, it seemed a bit disjointed there for a minute.

Me:loopy: !!

surely the cost of cutting down trees, making paper, printing thousands of leafets, distributing them, binning them, dumping them in a big hole in the ground or recycling if people bother, which is still expensive, costs more than the repainting of walls to sheffield?

i don't know. but thinking about it we get tonnes of junk mail each day....... of it we might use something like 1% of it. but that's how it works. the 1% counts for the company selling or doing what they do.

they get the message into your home. you don't want it.

it is highly wasteful of materials.

think i might start a thread about legal sites to post junk mail.

anyways i don't know what i'm getting at (don't quote me on this)

in fact i've lost interest..... zzzz

nobody is going to change their opinion as far as i can see.

anyways if it is costing the council to 'clear' it up, we pay taxes etc. blah blah