Sheffield Guitarists

In the sixties Sheffield had some great guitar players..Frank White, Dave Hawley, Dave Hopper, Phil Crooks, Frank Miles, George Gill, Roy Barber, Roy Ledger, Mick Grimes, Peter York, Plus others, who's names I can't remember.. ..where are they now are they still playing ?

Frank White & Dave Hopper are still playing, Dave Hawley isn't, not sure about the others

I work with Frank Whites son-in-law, and hes very much still alive and kicking. Still plays regularly at the Pheasant, and the Upperthorpe Hotel, and runs his own promotions company.

Ah, Frank White. Rendered the best version of Hey Joe that I've ever heard. Regretably the lyrics didn't sit well with his religous views (it was said) and it was rarely heard and I guess not at all now.

Originally posted by Ned Ludd

Ah, Frank White. Rendered the best version of Hey Joe that I've ever heard. Regretably the lyrics didn't sit well with his religous views (it was said) and it was rarely heard and I guess not at all now.

I remember one he used to sing at the Blue Bell, Hackenthorpe in the early 70's . It was about a guy who built a car from bits he smuggled out of the car plant in his lunch box. What was it called?

Any one remeber another Bell favourite group, Birthday Cake. They used to do a fine rendition of Communication Breakdown.

Originally posted by Lostrider

I remember one he used to sing at the Blue Bell, Hackenthorpe in the early 70's . It was about a guy who built a car from bits he smuggled out of the car plant in his lunch box. What was it called?

Any one remeber another Bell favourite group, Birthday Cake. They used to do a fine rendition of Communication Breakdown.

i think the one you refer to is titled something like

"the 56, 57, 58, 59 Chevrolet" which i think was performed by someone like johnny cash or willie nelson.

(i may be slightly out...)

PT

Originally posted by Plain Talker

i think the one you refer to is titled something like

"the 56, 57, 58, 59 Chevrolet" which i think was performed by someone like johnny cash or willie nelson.

(i may be slightly out...)

PT

You're correct PT, it was Johnny Cash and the song is called One Piece At A Time. It was hit circa 1971

Originally posted by mojoworking

You're correct PT, it was Johnny Cash and the song is called One Piece At A Time. It was hit circa 1971

thank you mojo!

the bit i quoted was from the chorus...

that's why I couldn't "google it right" as i did not remember the full lyrics!

cheers for your help!

PT

Originally posted by Lostrider

Oh b****r forgot my response!!

Which was ............. that'd be "The Ballad of Linford Christie"?

Frank still performs, on the last Friday of each month, at The Pheasant, Sheffield Lane Top.

(If you do a search on this site for “Frank White” you will find a previous thread all about him.)

I saw him play two weeks ago, and he was brilliant. Started off with stalwarts “I took a chance on you” and “Mohair Sam” and then shot off at a tangent of Blues and R’n’B.

Highlights for me were a reggae-ish version of Gershwin’s “Summertime” followed by a red hot rendidtion of “On Broadway”, a la George Benson, which included a blistering 5 minute guitar solo.

He seems to be really enjoying himself these days. He’s relaxed, has a great patter with the audience, and routinely asks for requests.

Well worth 4 quid of anybody’s money.

Bushbaby

One of the greatest of all Sheffield guitarists, and an unsung hero in the annals of local music, was a guy called Pete Howe. Pete, who was born in 1948 lived on Parson Cross, and throughout the late sixties and early seventies was an icon to the rest of the neighborhood.

As well as being a guitar genius, he had all the other killer attributes. He had long hair, was good looking, as his long string of attractive girlfriends would testify, and his outgoing persona made him the life and soul of every party, and there were lots of those.

He performed in a number of guises, but the one I remember best was a trio, (Phil on bass, Dave on Drums) which did the rounds of Parson Cross youth clubs, church halls, and occasionally WMCs, during that period.

He wrote much of his own material, and a lot of his surrealistic demeanor was inspired by Syd Barratt.

“King of the Saucepans” and “Hit me over the head with a Fire Extinguisher” are two numbers which stick in mind, but the comedic value was never allowed to eclipse the music, especially the guitar playing.

I’m not sure what happened to Pete after that, but if I was ever to meet up with him again, I would shake his hand and thank him for the great memories.

Bushbaby