Saint Joseph's RC school at Walkley

Hi Sunbeam

I remember your brother Mick Cummings, very well. He caught the same bus as me to school and we were in scouts together. Me, Mick Cummings, Sean Brown, Terry Walsh all were friends in the scouts and had scouting hols away. I am a year older, I think.

I also knew Brendan Gormley who was Tom Gormley's son and ran the Scouts. I could take you to his old house now.

Maggie Brown-was it Micks big 50 in Feb? I called round but no-one in on the sat night, so guessed they might have gone out.

Hi Andy. Mick was born in 1960 and unless my Maths is worse than I thought it's the big 50 next year. Didn't Terry Walsh live down Barber Road and the Gormleys on Bellhagg ? Hope you and everyone is OK.

My name is Cecilia Danaher, but I went by the name Dympna at school. I've lived in Vancouver, BC since 1971, but I still have some family in Sheffield and strong emotional ties to my old home. I was at St. Joseph's Walkley from 1952-1958, when Sr. Gabriel was head mistress. Imelda Brown was new to the school in '55 and I was in her first class. She kept our class for three years, so I was in her first 11+ class at the school. I then went on to Notre Dame.

I remember just about every name in my class (first baby boomer class so it was huge.) I also remember distinctly what Miss Brown taught us. I never saw Miss Brown again after I left St. Joseph's, but a few years ago, I wrote to her and thanked her for being such a large influence in my life. I understand that she was thrilled to get my letter some 42 yrs after she taught me.

At various times before me, some of my sisters and brothers went to Saint Joseph's for short periods: Colma, Mida, Patrick, Mary, and Senan.

Anyone out there remember the Dean family? My name is Eileen and I attended St Josephs in 1950 -1953. My brother Michael Dean was there from 1951 and went from there to St Vincent's.

Hi Maggie. I do not know if we can still get in touch? if we can, I have some very old photo's of St josephs school in the early 30's If you are interested we need to get in touch by e'mail or snail mail. CHESHIRETYK@ AOL.COM

Would anyone remember the McCarthy family, Jimmy, Frank, Bernard and Teresa Mary around 1930's. Possibly Petre Street, Woodside Lane area. Boys were all altar boys at possibly St. Vincents or St. Catherines.

I went to St Josephs from 1953. Remember first teacher was Sister Gonzaga. I was a milk monitor and used to carry the milk down all those steps. Sister Gabriel was a hit with the cane. We used to take sandwiches so we could eat them after mass.

I went to st Joseph's 1945 to 1952, My sister was there 1950 to 1955 & My mother somwhere around 1914 to around 1928. We all lived in Walkley st. the only teacher's names I remember were miss Cleary took J1 (she was a dab hand with the cane) and Pop Smith who took us down to upperthorpe baths for swimming. The head mistress was Sister Pauline when I was there and she retired the year I left and went to Pitsmoor Penitentiary (De La Salle). St Josephs wasn't too bad but DLSC is another story.

I went there in '64-'66 and was in the same class as Catherine Madin, in fact sat facing each other at certain times!

Miss Pierrus J3 (don't know the spelling) and Miss Brown J4 were my 2 teachers before I went to De La Salle. I of course know the Madins-most of them and I also went in the Scouts with some of them.

I still see Mick (Ryalls) every now & then. I once saw Terry Walsh, he had moved to Surrey and was married(?) to a vet.

At St Joes when I started the headmistress ws Sister Catherine, (very strict) then Sister Margaret (very kind)

Did anyone know Jan Wojtuski or John Grant? I still know them but haven't been in touch for years.

All the best to everyone.

Hi Andy

Of the names above I remember the Madins (did I have a crush on Catherine ?) and Terry and Miss Brown and Miss Peirrus and Sister Margaret. I still see John Mumford .

Other names that pop in to my head .. Mick Cummings, Geraldine Elmer..

My grandfather an great grandfather went to St josephs walkley both with same name Joseph mcnulty grand dad would have been from 1918

I have just been googling some of my family members and it turns out the Miss Jean Pierrus many people have mentioned was actually my great auntie.

Would be great to hear any stories of her, she passed away a few years ago but I have many memories of her, her house at walkley, many family Christmases we spent together and sitting talking with her just days before she died.

If anyone does have any stories it would great to hear them.

Thanks

Dom

---------- Post added 24-01-2018 at 23:06 ----------

I have just been googling some of my family members and it turns out the Miss Jean Pierrus many people have mentioned was actually my great auntie.

Would be great to hear any stories of her, she passed away a few years ago but I have many memories of her, her house at walkley, many family Christmases we spent together and sitting talking with her just days before she died.

If anyone does have any stories it would great to hear them.

Thanks

Dom

Jean Pierrus was always my favourite of all teachers. I went to Southey Green Junior school, where she was taught, until I left in 1953. Quite a few times, even after I had left Southey, I visited her at her house on South Road, close to the Palladium. She lived there I believe with two sisters. I had been in the act of trying to contact her when I saw the obituary in the Star. Would you have any pictures from That era Dom?