Saint Joseph's RC school at Walkley

Well, well Richard Madin!! Broth is fine and still living in S6. I see him regularly as we go through from glorious Hull for the football. I'll tell him you were in touch. Didn't you have an older sister? Or am I having a senior moment!

Well, well Richard Madin!! Broth is fine and still living in S6. I see him regularly as we go through from glorious Hull for the football. I'll tell him you were in touch. Didn't you have an older sister? Or am I having a senior moment!

Yes, Catherine, who left St Joes around 1966. She's now the Chief Exec at North Cheshire NHS! There was also my brothers, Paul (left 1968) Graham (left 1969) and a younger brther Chris. We seemed to go through St Joes with the Farrell's and the Murphy's.

Senior moments seem to come more and more often don't they!

Give my best to Mick.

Well that was interesting; pity I came in 2 years down the line. I see my cousin Margaret (Brown) was explaining to various people about St Josephs. I went there in '64-'66 and was in the same class as Catherine Madin, in fact sat facing each other at certain times!

Miss Pierrus J3 (don't know the spelling) and Miss Brown J4 were my 2 teachers before I went to De La Salle. I of course know the Madins-most of them and I also went in the Scouts with some of them.

I still see Mick (Ryalls) every now & then. I once saw Terry Walsh, he had moved to Surrey and was married(?) to a vet.

At St Joes when I started the headmistress ws Sister Catherine, (very strict) then Sister Margaret (very kind)

Did anyone know Jan Wojtuski or John Grant? I still know them but haven't been in touch for years.

All the best to everyone.

My Maiden name was Hensor, and I attended St. Josephs around 1935. Is there anybody out there from that area or era.

I also had 3 brothers at the same school, Jack, Osbert & Bernard around the same time. Would love to hear from anybody.

Millie Rackstraw ( nee Hensor)

Hi Millie. went to this school 1923/34. do not remember the name. will quote a few I do know. bill hayes. victor nolan. j turner. eyre.

I've just joined the forum to tell you that most of my family went to St. Joseph's. I have a photo dated 1896 of my gran at school. She was Annie Green. Her brothers also attended. My mum, Kathleen Cotton, went there in about 1926 as did my dad, Bill Ryalls. I went there in1958 and my brother Miichael started in 1964. My 2 uncles and my mum's best friend attended. She later married my uncle. Most of these people have died but Aunty Margaret, Mick and I are alive and kicking. The school is now luxury flats and the church a Buddhist centre. Don't times change!

Hi. remember. jim cotton .kathleen cotton.cheshire tyk

Maggie, is your mother still with us.I know jim passed on many years ago.

I'm sure ST Josephs School is still there and teaching children.

Do you mean St Josephs at Handsworth?

Sorry should have read the title of thread first, just read it now

hazel

Hello Cheshire Tyk, No Mum died in 1997.Very few of my family connected with St Josephs are alive only my aunty who was called Margaret Raynor before she married Frank Cotton my other uncle who drowned on holiday in Greece, I believe, many years ago. How do you know of my family?

Hello Maggie Brown. I went to St Josephs from about 1923. later I came across Jim Cotton when he worked at Darwins Ltd Tinsley................Jim and Tom Gormley used to go cycling with me and the last trip we made was to the Lake District at Easter 1939. I was friendly with Kathleen Cotton and went out as a crowd together had many a late supper at their house in Walkley. Regards.

I recall happy school days at St Josephs. In fact Maggie I have a great picture of your brother Michael and me taken in the school yard when we were Head Boy and Head Girl in 1969 which I was looking at recently. We used to get the 95 bus home together after school when you lived on Linaker Road. I think you were good friends with my late cousin Bernadette. I was also in the same class as Richard Madin who posted earlier.

Going back to the 1930s my mum and her brothers and sister all went to St Josephs. Please pass on my regards to Michael.

Hi Sunbeam. Would you happen to be Patricia Cummings? I remember you and did you have a brother, maybe older than you? Yes, Bernadette and I were best friends until we left Notre Dame and went our separate ways.My brother still lives in Walkley. Didn't you live up Tinker Lane way and was your mum Aunty Ellen? Nice to hear from you and yes I will tell Mick I've been in contact.

Correct on all counts Maggie. I have an older brother and a younger sister and Mum was Aunty Ellen. She sadly passed away in 2003 but Dad is still going strong at 85.