Saint Joseph's RC school at Walkley

My Maiden name was Hensor, and I attended St. Josephs around 1935. Is there anybody out there from that area or era.

I also had 3 brothers at the same school, Jack, Osbert & Bernard around the same time. Would love to hear from anybody.

Millie Rackstraw ( nee Hensor)

Sorry Millie, it was 1944 when I started there so I imagine you would have left by then. Bet you remember the 'slope' that lead to the infants class and the veranda - we had sliding contests down there where the winners were always the boys who wore boots with 'segs' in the soles. I had to wait for frost, snow or ice to stand a chance in my ordinary shoes! A different world.

Did NOBODY go to St. Josephs? Or have they all gone to that big classroom in the sky?

pensionsniper

So it would seem, but we are'nt all there yet are we ?

Milly

I've just joined the forum to tell you that most of my family went to St. Joseph's. I have a photo dated 1896 of my gran at school. She was Annie Green. Her brothers also attended. My mum, Kathleen Cotton, went there in about 1926 as did my dad, Bill Ryalls. I went there in1958 and my brother Miichael started in 1964. My 2 uncles and my mum's best friend attended. She later married my uncle. Most of these people have died but Aunty Margaret, Mick and I are alive and kicking. The school is now luxury flats and the church a Buddhist centre. Don't times change!

For Maggie Brown.

How nice to get your message I remember your Mothers name and her sister Beaty cotten, she was in my class at school My naame is Milly Henser I had a look at the old schoolabout 3 years ago and it bought back many memories I started school in 1928 Sister Columba was the infant teacher and Miss Brown My sister went there Kathleen Henser She was

one year eleven months younger than me She died 3 years agoI I wonder what the church looks like now it's taken over I seem to remember Kathleen Cotten and Beaty Cotten living in Carr rd Thanks again for your reply

Milted

Hello Milted. Thanks for replying. Just to set you right. My mum didn't have a sister. She had 2 brothers Jim and Frank who were older than her and they all lived on Greenhow St. Mum's best friend was Margaret Raynor and she married my Uncle Frank.

For Maggie Brown

Thankyou for your interest and help It was a long shot and who knows, it could have led to something interesting

With kind regards Milted

For Milted. Just a thought - my mum was taught by a Miss Imelda Brown and so was I. She was probably in her fifties when I was there. She lived in a house just over the wall from the slope leading down to the hall, verandah type thing and little playground. Do you think it's the same person?

For Milted. Just a thought - my mum was taught by a Miss Imelda Brown and so was I. She was probably in her fifties when I was there. She lived in a house just over the wall from the slope leading down to the hall, verandah type thing and little playground. Do you think it's the same person?

Sorry to butt in here I just spotted the name Imelda Brown. She was my scolarship teacher in 1952 at St Oswalds (Wybourn). Incidentally I passed but it was the worst thing I did in my life. The De La Salle Brothers were sadists !

I've just joined the forum to tell you that most of my family went to St. Joseph's. I have a photo dated 1896 of my gran at school. She was Annie Green. Her brothers also attended. My mum, Kathleen Cotton, went there in about 1926 as did my dad, Bill Ryalls. I went there in1958 and my brother Miichael started in 1964. My 2 uncles and my mum's best friend attended. She later married my uncle. Most of these people have died but Aunty Margaret, Mick and I are alive and kicking. The school is now luxury flats and the church a Buddhist centre. Don't times change!

How is Mick? I was there at St Joes with him and we both became altar boys at the same time. Mick and I were the first in our class to become altar boys (Mick pipped me by one day) and I remember that our first mass was very early in the morning across the road!

Pass on my regards - Richard Madin