No balloons at the balloon festival!

on the ik balloons website it states 2.50 to get in my point is more the funfair but last year there wasnt a balloon fetival it was a summer fayre and free to get in and the fireworks were excellent as i have said they have hosted events this year at leeds, manchester , redcar and leiscester but that got cancelled due to weather the problem is that its pay pay pay in sheffield i have known this for 10 years now sheffield show used to be free to get in and othere events were free someone intsed of making a buck needs to think about the people of the city and give them a decent show thats not pay for everything a average family could easily spend 5o quid plus you could take everyone to a cinema for a day out for that .

the balloons were not the problem wot most people are tryin to say is that the rest of the event was little more than just a funfair with higher than usual prices.the guys with the balloons tried their hardest to get some balloons up but were fighting a loosin battle against mother nature. full marks for tryin guys:thumbsup:

graves park to be honest is the only park in sheffield that could hold this event endcliffe too small, hilsborugh too small

See we didn't really bother with the fair. Never do as it's the same wherever you go. I wouldn't say just Sheffield. I was just a little miffed that people seemed to be slating the fact that there were no balloons. No wonder the pilots didn't want to go up as they'd have soon come back down and certainly not how they planned!

I have to give full marks to the bird handler. He did more than his fair share at keeping the crowds entertained without tiring the birds I felt. I'm sure he did much more than his '3 shows daily' as the posters/websites stated. He hung around to the very end on Saturday and just asked for a little warning so he could get the birds away before the fireworks (of which yes I think were pathetic). He was friendly and kept the kids amused to the end and gave plenty of photo opportunities (much to my delight!) :D

Didn't notice much of the organisation, was too busy watching what we could, going on outside the funfair. Was a little concerned about the lack of lighting afterwards. I did see a young girl have a fall over a boulder and it could have been very nasty.

I'd say 50/50. Could do better but not a bad day really. Just don't slate the pilots/balloonists. Not their fault :)

yes i went last year and was very alarmed walking down the ramp to warminseter road entrance how dark it is as i said before its had good press everywhere else its been believe me to a fair fan the fair is not the same as normal

up the blades

The balloon festival was supposed to be a surprise for my partner as she loves them. Really disappointing. Maybe they should have a couple really well tethered even if they can't fly 'em due to the wind. Seemed very child-oriented as well.

We went on Sunday afternoon and only stayed an hour due to being caught in the rain shower. 2 balloons and an overpriced below average fairground for £2.50. We went 2 years ago and you had access from all over the park instead of the 2 entry points this year. Good old Sheffield council for milking an event that used to be enjoyed by everyone for free. The only good part was catching up with a couple of old Army mates who were working on the Yorkshire Regiment zip line stand. £1.50 for a kiddies roundabout ride that lasted for 3 minutes is not good however much my 2 year old daughter enjoyed it. It was the same down at party in the park in Rother Valley. £5 this time, instead of the normal £2.50 to get in complete with another assortment of crappy rides and crappy bands who no one has heard of. What happened to good quality fun days out in and around our area. Sheffield shows used to be a talking point but have now decended into rubbish money making schemes. Sort it out eh!!!!!!! £1.50 for an ice-cream....We live in Yorkshire, not down saaaarf.

So should Sheffield stop hosting events then? Seems like all anyone does is complain about them.

The thing I love about Sheffield is theres constantly something going on. We ought to be proud of the fact.

OK it was a little disorganised. So what? I'm sure they'll learn from it.

It was a waste of time and money, full of d*** h***s. the only good thing i saw was a bloke on a ride that was nearly sick. was fun to watch but that was it.

For all those of you complaining about the lack of free events in Sheffield - You've missed several now, but there are at least two more FREE EVENTS still to come:

Sheffield-on Sea, 19th and 20th August in the city centre/Peace Gardens...what it sounds like - sand and sea come to Sheffield.

And Sheffield Fayre, Norfolk Heritage Park, Sunday 27th and Monday 28th August.

Both big events. Perhaps it's worth having a better look at the SCC website?

As for the balloon show. I went. It was pretty terrible. The organisers should have known that the weather conditions may prevent balloons and kites flying, and should have provided better stalls, etc for just such a situation. Pity all us Forum folk didn't meet up there and make our own fun...

What a great laugh it was playing cricket with people ignoring the proper path for cars and driving straight through our pitch :)

For all those of you complaining about the lack of free events in Sheffield - You've missed several now, but there are at least two more FREE EVENTS still to come:

MIDDLEWOOD FESTIVAL SATURDAY 19th AUGUST

VISIT THE WEBSITE MIDDLEWOOD FESTIVAL

:hihi: I don't know cosywolf.. you forgot to mention it.