No balloons at the balloon festival!

just emailed the council to complain about this event. 1 of the other things i noticed is that they had a lot of kids doin the stewarding of the event surely this doesnt comply with regulations.

saw all 8 up including the churchill dog!!!! yesterday morning when walking in graves park

We have been planning to go to this for weeks and my little girl is very excited. I'm now not sure if its worth setting off (we're in Stocksbridge so it's a journey to get there)as if there's no balloons she's going to be very disappointed.

Does anyone know as yet if there's much there today?..I know it's early in the day. We may head out to another park and save a wasted journey as don't fancy paying out all day for rides if theres not much else happening.

I dont think we are going to bother going either, when I was a nipper my dad tookme to a balloon festival down south and that was amazing there seemed to be hundreds of them. It was quite asight and the memory has stayed with me for many years. This on the other hand sounds a bit pants :( oh well will have to find somthing else to do today. Am slightly dissapointed thought the kids would enjoy the sight of many balloon's when you hear that theres just one or two it's just not quite the same.

I just warned my mum and dad off going.

hehe.. bet the word spreads like wildfire and hardley anyone turns up

i went last night. it was crap. i walked in as foar as i cud without paying, and it all looked crap. a couple of years ago it was gr8 ut no its goin down hill. also in the car park there was some kids setting fires under he trees!!! how stupid.

Not wanting to hijack a thread but quite relevant.

One of the main reasons we decided to do our own little thing was precisely because of posts like these and comments on Mayfest.

Our festival, humble as it may be is mainly free. We have ensured that any facilities such as food are going to charge reasonably and not take advantage of a captive audience.

We have hired in the bouncy castles ourselves and are charging a nominal amount for a set amount of bounce for your money :P and most of the childrens activities such as crafty things are free of charge. The music is free all day and the whole event comes with goodwill and a hope that everyone who attends understands we are not a commercial enterprise just a group of people wanting to give people an affordable alternative and a good afternoon out.

Perhaps if more events realised that it was the peripheral cost that upset the public they may address it! :rolleyes:

any 1 been to the graves park festival 2.50 entrance fee and the rest was extortionate rides drinks and food how can a normal family manage to take their children to it why do they charge like this

Mod note: Threads merged.

It was pretty cack really :( If you saw the posters you would be forgiven for thinking it was on the same scale as the annual Bristol Balloon Festival.

No programme of events brochure (well, no events really. Probably explains it....)

Only two and a half inflated balloons, an army ride from a tower down a rope slde and a funfair.

All in all, pretty disappointing. After that we went to see the animals (free) at the side.

Was better entertainment.

Sorry we missed you, Strix's. 4:00 - what time d'yer call that then :D

Well what a fiasco...me and my friends had been looking forward to this event for a few weeks. We all met up with our picnics in hand and walked there. When we arrived we paid, went to go in and they wouldn't let us in with our picnics because we had alcohol. It didn't say anything in the advertising about no alcohol. I didn't see why it would be a problem to bring a bottle of wine and enjoy the balloons with a nice picnic! The guy explained there is a beer tent...ok money making scheme going on here. We complained and said we wanted a refund, hadn't been in, and on top of all that there were no balloons so it wasn't worth it. The security were really rude and accused one of the group for being cocky because he was the spokesman, infact the security man was trying to square up to us. What a tw*t! We think he was looking for an excuse to not let us in and not give us our money back. I told him off for being rude and told him it was an unnecessary attitude to have! We got our money back and found a nice spot in the park and had our picnic, then went and spent our money elsewhere.

They should have made it clear that we couldn't bring picnics. We carried all these cool boxes there to be disappointed.