Sign in to follow this  

Foundation Hospitals

Are foundation hospitals a good idea? will they be more efficient? be more cost effective? be better for the patient? if so will they give a better service? or will they create more soft jobs and more wastefull management?

Surely, it is all about being able to use the available money to the best advantage, if not it will be a waste of time and money. Should managers have to prove themselves before being allowed to handle such responsibility, I think so. Your opinions please.

What is a foundation hospital??????

Moon Maiden

Foundation hospitals may be a good ideabut the rationale by which they are selected is flawed...

I think they're a bad idea. I've seen how screwed up some schools have become because of the idiotic ideas of their all-powerful local governors, and this will be no different. Hospitals are complex organisations serving complex communities, and bringing their running down to just a matter of money will have a hugely detrimental effect on the health service many places can provide. Providing a locally accountable and locally tailored service should be achieved by setting up systems whereby there is feedback between hospitals and the NHS as a whole. You don't need to break the NHS up into small pieces (as foundation hospitals effectively do) to achieve this. Also, how long will it be before these foundation hospitals are given free-reign to tend for as many private patients as it likes, and how long before the £1 sign-up fee is £100 or £1000? This would be unheard-of under the NHS, but prices could very easily increase at a local level without triggering national interest.

No I don't agree with these. I see this idea leading to privatisation of the health service. I think the rationale is that some hospitals will raise and manage their funding better than others and the idea is that evrybody will want to go to these hospitals so they will be the ones to flourish.

So how will these hospitals decide which patients they will take £££££ ? and what will happen to the rest of us. Presumably we will have to settle for 2nd, 3rd, 4th best. It stinks.