Upgrading for Oblivion

I've recently become somewhat obsessed with the game Oblivion...

My current system runs it...well, not bad, at 1024x768 with most things medium-low, but it really struggles at outside scenes with the FPS dropping below ~12.

Could anyone advise me on the best graphics card to upgrade to? Ideally I don't want to spend much more than £100, and I'd like to get it running smooth at 1280x1024, my monitor's native. Oh, and I've already tried all the tweaks to optimise the game...

My current set-up is:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+, ~2.0GHz

Memory: 1GB RAM

Card: nVidia Geforce 6600, PCI-E, 256MB

Thanks.

I'd get another Geforce 6600 and run them in SLI.

I'd get another Geforce 6600 and run them in SLI.

I knew I should have said this in my first post...my system can't do SLI, I'm pretty sure - not much room for expansion. Thanks, anyway!

I have just been looking around t'internets; the GeForce 7600 GT seems like a good choice for me. About £120-130, good performance; any thoughts, or where I could get one cheap :P ?

With 4gb or ram, dual 3.2 ghz xeons a geforce 7900 and some nifty storage medium speeds it run at 60+fps

That's how a friend of mine has it running but unless your loaded it's not a cheap option im afraid. I know it is sometimes hard to be patient but i would seriously wait a little while for the direct x 10 generation of hardware to show it's face.

If you need a quick fix though a 6800gs or above should suffice to get the game running at 30-40fps at 1024x768 with some anti aliasing on

If you need a quick fix though a 6800gs or above should suffice to get the game running at 30-40fps at 1024x768 with some anti aliasing on

I have a problem with nVidia´s numbering system - would the 7600 GT be faster than a 6800gs? Or is it just that the 7-series supports some new shader?

we've got some nice deals on 6800xt cards, that shout sort it!

Look at tomshardware video charts for a good comparison of cards.

we've got some nice deals on 6800xt cards, that shout sort it!

Oh no, you don't want a NVidia 6anything for Oblivion, I've just gone from a 6800GT because it was a bit pants...

If you're going for around £100 & PCI-E, you can't go wrong with summat like this for the money, but it'll still creak...

If your playing it on your monitor then you can just use a vga cable with your 360

buy an xbox 360 and the game its cheaper

Yes obviously paying £300 to play a graphically inferior, cut-down version is much better than buying a new graphics card:rolleyes:

true, and a graphics card will last you a whole 6 months.