Driving Standards in South Yorkshire

I drove around Hyde Park Corner in London once and it was like wacky races, every man for himself, not a nice experience.

just wanted to add that one of the best places ive seen driving is in australia - very courteous to pedestrians in city centres, and a very notable police presence with speed cameras !! :)

Drive in Texas, so polite in fact that people on the roundabout stop to let people on it. Mind you, its Texas, so everyone has a gun in the glovebox :o , so you have to be polite.

sheffield peeps are so horny - horn happy that is! like no where else in the UK... there is a lot of road rage up here as well tho...

and to the poster about not giving the cyclists respect...cyclists are nutters up here....they dice with death!

Im looking forward to spotting the 4x4 driver cyclists (disc brakes and aluminium frames prolly) and giving them a taste of their own medicine

lol

d

what's up with disc brakes and ally frames?

dont complain about sheffileld till you have driven in Rome or Paris after this sheffield is a doddle

yep ... its pretty poor most of the time.

the worst kind of drivers are those who hoot at you to put your foot down ... when in fact you are up to the speed limit already ... i get my little kids to peer out of the back window at them and pull their tongues out!!

Agree with macbeth about the speeding cars in residential areas - we come down myrtle road every morning and i try to keep my speed right down cos of the kids walking out in to the road from behind cars - you just dont see em til its too late and it happens on a scarily regular basis - and i regularly get hooted at to go faster! im doing around 20mph ... i can live with that on my conscience .... what i wouldnlt be able to live with was injuring a member of the public just cos dimwit behind me is running late and thinks it s ok to do 40 mph down there!

Funny how you don't think pedestrians should learn how to cross the road. Still... government brain washing, eh?

Cyclists? Well.... there are some good ones... there are some bad ones

Similarly for motorcyclists. Wednesday night I was waiting in the left hand lane at some traffic lights when the motorcyclist behind got fed up, and took off along the pavement instead, cutting back in front of me before the lights and then turned right... Very responsible...

Corsas? Walking along last night when one decided to just drive onto the pavement in front of me... hello there, fat oaf of a driver.

I think on the whole Sheff drivers are OK and pretty courteous. Only irritating things is you're expected to know exactly where you're going, and they don't like it if you "dither" cos you've ended up on ANOTHER one-way system that you didn't mean to get stuck on. Some people who drive in Sheffield ARE NOT FROM SHEFFIELD! There is life outside this town!!!

I've driven in London and it is every man for himself! And the M25 is pretty mental, but then again, you can never really drive in London, it's usually stop and start all the time.

I hate the Aasian boy racers on Abbeydale Road, one of these days they're gonna kill someone.

Apart from that, I think they're OK, and I do tend to allow for the "cylist's wobble". (although cyclists are a pain in the arse, don't pay road tax and think drivers owe them a living..... ) I'm running away!!

Folk in Sheffield just dont know how to treat people riding a bike on the road

bit of a generalisation there mate. I'm sure some drivers would rather not meet a cyclist who has disregarded a red light as well - I met one yesterday when the lights were on green for me and was ranted at comprehensively for a full minute before driving off having not said a word to this lunatic. I think his claim was "you nearly f**king hit me" ....damn right I did

I appreciate this does not apply to all cyclists but it'll certainly apply to a shrinking section of the cycling population if they don't cut it out.

i got wound up driving in a formation of 10 cars because some one was driving on a national speed limit road, at 35 mph, about 5.30pm ish, very frustrating!!!

Funny how you don't think pedestrians should learn how to cross the road. Still... government brain washing, eh?

You should see where she means. It's lethal, even for a child with its mother. The slight bend in the road, and the steepness of the hill mean its riddled with blind spots.

You get people at the bottom speeding going up as they know they'll run out of revs closer to the top so they try to get a 'good run' at it. Then you get people coming down like they've got to rush home and change their underpants or something.

I think it will be getting a lollipop lady soon though, once they've built the much needed pedestrian crossing on Prospect Rd. I just hope she's about 20 feet tall as its impossible to see and react to whats at the junction with Anns Road if you're going above 20mph.