Driving Standards in South Yorkshire

Do fellow Forummers have a view on the general driving standards in South Yorkshire and Sheffield in particular as it does appear to me that some folk just drive far too fast for the prevailing conditions most of the time taking a great deal of chances etc.

Speaking as a cyclist Id say the driving is rubbish here - mind you I cant really speak for many other places

I commute from Greenhill to S2 and Im in fear of my life on a daily basis

Folk in Sheffield just dont know how to treat people riding a bike on the road

The funny thing is the parking squeeze is gonna push more and more people onto bikes, including those drivers who treat us like scum

Im looking forward to spotting the 4x4 driver cyclists (disc brakes and aluminium frames prolly) and giving them a taste of their own medicine

lol

d

I think bus drivers drive like maniacs. I might have just assumed it was a general British thing (I don't get out of the city much) except I've heard from people who've moved TO Sheffield from elsewhere, and they've commented on the kamikazi boy racer tendencies of bus drivers too. Don't it make yer feel proud?

Speaking as a cyclist Id say the driving is rubbish here - mind you I cant really speak for many other places

I commute from Greenhill to S2 and Im in fear of my life on a daily basis

Folk in Sheffield just dont know how to treat people riding a bike on the road

The funny thing is the parking squeeze is gonna push more and more people onto bikes, including those drivers who treat us like scum

Im looking forward to spotting the 4x4 driver cyclists (disc brakes and aluminium frames prolly) and giving them a taste of their own medicine

lol

d

Regarding car drivers and cyclists I always remember when I was taught to drive in 1964 by an Army Driving Instructor by the name of Sergeant Major Jackson he always said that quote 'You should always allow a cyclist his wobble' one of his many pearls of wisdom.

Do fellow Forummers have a view on the general driving standards in South Yorkshire and Sheffield in particular as it does appear to me that some folk just drive far too fast for the prevailing conditions most of the time taking a great deal of chances etc.

Try driving inside the M25, it gets seriously bad.

Really, you would not believe it.

It ain't possible to drive fast in Sheffield, the roads are in such a poor state of repair.:) (Rant)

Seriously.....it's the same everywhere. I drive all over the UK and you need eyes in the back of ya head sometimes.

There's some idiots out there.

The thing that worries me most are the cars that bomb along narrow, double parked streets. I don't know about all of Sheffield, I only moved here last year, but certainly there are lots of those types of streets around Hills'b. I think there should also be some sort of noise restriction on cars in residential areas, if they were driven sensibly it could solve the speed and noise problems in one go!

Its a bit sad really, because I think generally, the cars belonging to the type of driver I mean couldn't hold their own in any sort of speed trial, as they tend to be modified old bangers! I think their main purpose is to draw attention to themselves? I also wonder - are spoilers so called because they 'spoil' the look of a car?

<<<<<<<<<<the casual idiot in a done up corsa

I think the driving around here is quite considerate....much better than where I've moved from. Try driving in London...its a nightmare.

The driving standards are pretty similar in sheffield to most other places i've driven in the uk, and that includes pretty much every major city (never been to liverpool though).

yep ... its pretty poor most of the time.

the worst kind of drivers are those who hoot at you to put your foot down ... when in fact you are up to the speed limit already ... i get my little kids to peer out of the back window at them and pull their tongues out!!

Agree with macbeth about the speeding cars in residential areas - we come down myrtle road every morning and i try to keep my speed right down cos of the kids walking out in to the road from behind cars - you just dont see em til its too late and it happens on a scarily regular basis - and i regularly get hooted at to go faster! im doing around 20mph ... i can live with that on my conscience .... what i wouldnlt be able to live with was injuring a member of the public just cos dimwit behind me is running late and thinks it s ok to do 40 mph down there!