Conveyancing solicitor/survey

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a reputable solicitor for getting a survey etc done? Preferably one that doesn't cost the earth. I have an offer in at the moment.

Cheers.

This previous thread is very useful. I'm currently buying a house and after getting quotes from nine solictors, Mundy Coutts-Wood was the cheapest so I went with them. The purchase is still in it's early stages and I've only paid for the searches today, but they've been okay so far.

Hi, Solicitors don't actually do surveys. They do someting called the lcoal authority searches, which just checks that a road it not about to be built over your house. You need a survey company or engineers to do a survey. You can choose either a homebuyers survey or a more indepth builders survey. Hope this helps!

I would Highly recommend Pauline Coates too, i went to her after having problems with a previously solicitor, she was great got it all sorted in no time!

Thanks people. Any one recommend a good place to get a builder's survey?

Cheers.

Unless you're needing an Engineers survey I'd be using Spencers on Ecclesall Road.

Norrie Waite and Slater (solicitors) have been very good during our house purchase. Available, helful and efficient - just what we needed!

Hi

I've just bought a house in Crookes and used Martin Saunders at Hale Saunders. Super efficient, very reaonable and extremely helpful. Have been using Ross Ward at Taylor & Emmet for conveyancing - reasonably OK but could have got things done quicker.

message for daley dont you think nine quotes was a bit over the top and to everyone else the cheapest is not as amatter of fact the best I should think the best way to do it would be to get three quotes and go with the middle one

I used Tofields for my conveyancing. They generally match the best quote you can get, although they were by far the cheapest of the quotes I got. Yes, cheap isn't always the best way, but when the next nearest quote was several hundred pounds more (and I was only buying, not selling as well) it takes the pee! Anyhow, I found them to be pretty good, sometimes took a little time to get hold of the solicitor but I wasn't in any rush. The whole thing from offer to exchange took three months, for a leasehold property, and where the process was initially delayed because of problems with my mortgage company. So I think this isn't bad going.

Can't remember who did my survey as this was organised through my mortgage company, so it was the same people as who did the valuation (I think they were based in Rotherham). I had a homebuyers survey which cost £135. The full building survey was about £450 IIRC. Apparently these are only really necessary if there is something about the property that is causing concern, or if it is a property over 100 years old.

I found that Norrie Waite and Slater had the best conveyencing quote at around 696 but that's on a 100 grand house, all the others were between 700-800...!!