Hinde House Comprehensive

I remember Tommy Cocking and Vincent O'Grady but not any of the others.

How about Peter Keen, Richard Dickinson, Julie Benn, Diane Ball, Richard Buttery, Peter Sheldon, John Smith, Michael Hill?

I remember Richard Buttery, used to play pennies with Tommy, and stretch with a pen knife, who took you for French was it Mr Moss, also school trip to Mony Ash where I caught a Trout I tickled, whats your name....

I had Mr Eccersley for French, he was also my form tutor and he ran the chess club at lunch time where I learnt to play chess.

I did not go on the trip you mentioned. My name is Denise

Mr Wainwright the Biology teacher was my favourite teacher and once on my way home from school a horse that was being ridden on the road got hit by a car and he was driving behind it and he and I helped until the police came with a vet and shot the horse.

Edited by curriechick

I had Mr Eccersley for French, he was also my form tutor and he ran the chess club at lunch time where I learnt to play chess.

I did not go on the trip you mentioned. My name is Denise

Mr Wainwright the Biology teacher was my favourite teacher and once on my way home from school a horse that was being ridden on the road got hit by a car and he was driving behind it and he and I helped until the police came with a vet and shot the horse.

I remember Mr Wainright top teacher, I also remember the horse incident, I think we were in the same form but different classes, Denise also rings a bell, big school, big classes, long time ago = hazy memories.......

Mr Moss always known by us as Stanley :)

There was a woodwork teacher called Mr Manley, I had a little bit of a crush on him, I've only just remembered that.

richard buttery (chalky) died a couple of years back

I remember Richard nice lad....

Yes I knew Richard very well, did know he had died too such a shame. He was a good lad, really good to me.

Hello, I went to Hinde House School in 1970-74, we were the first class to go straight from Shiregreen Junior School to Hinde House and not the Senior School at Shiregrenn, that had by then become Concord School.

We actually started as 2nd year pupils and left at the end of 5th form in 1974 when I was 16.

I remember Mr Edwards very well, and he was a nasty piece of work, aboslutely terrified me even though I did't personally have any run in with him. I remember having to stand when he walked into a classroom.

I also remember the strike being one of the pupils that sort of instigated it, it started because girls wanted to option of wearing trousers in the winter as many of us had to walk through Concord Park to get to school it was very cold wearing a skirt. It then developed into a full uniform debate.

I was in Chantry House and my form tutor was Mr Eccersley who also taught French. We had Mrs Ramsden for English, Mr Humberstone for Art, Mr Webb for Physics, Mr Wainwright (my favourite teacher) for Biology, Mrs Fitzmaurice for Commerce and Office Practice, in fact Mrs Fitzmaurice and another teacher whose name I forget arrange a party at her house for us when we left school. My last two years were in an all girls class due to the course being "vocational" and including typing, shorthand, commerce and office practice ect.

I also remember speech day/prize giving at the City Hall I was in the school orchestra and we played there. The music teacher I think was Mr Whiteley and also Mrs Merryweather. There are other teachers, occasions and pupils that I remember but I don't want to waffle on for too long.

I had both Mrs Merryweather and Mr Whitely for music and Mr Wainwright science was as you said a decent bloke.

It was his class I was stuck in during the 1973 riot and remember him locking the door so we couldnt get out.

Mr Wainwright (Eric) became a friend in later years where I would visit his farm a few times a year and sometimes kip in his haybarn with my mates but we always got breakfast.

He left his farm in Wharncliffe Side several years ago probably more and went to live in Warickshire.

I was in Miss Grigorians form throughout my term 1970-75

I am making an edition of a BBC radio programme called Profile about the new Met Commissioner Bernard Hogan-Howe, who went to Hinde House between 1961 and 1975. It would be great to speak to anyone who remembers him – just trying to get an idea of what he was like as a child an what kind of place Hinde House was. I am on lucy.proctor@bbc.co.uk or 020 8752 6194.

I was at Hinde House between 65 and 73 but his name doesn't ring any bells as for the schools there are numerous threads about it and it's headmaster Mr Edwards on this forum.

I am making an edition of a BBC radio programme called Profile about the new Met Commissioner Bernard Hogan-Howe, who went to Hinde House between 1961 and 1975. It would be great to speak to anyone who remembers him – just trying to get an idea of what he was like as a child an what kind of place Hinde House was. I am on lucy.proctor@bbc.co.uk or 020 8752 6194.

I was there 69/74 never heard of him, but as darra says look at the posts on here, if he was at Hinde House in 61 he would have left around 66, if he left in 75 he didnt start till 70. So the new Met Commissioners history is a bit of a mystery, wonder how long he will last.