Hinde House Comprehensive

Originally posted by Cycleracer

also Mr Martin but can't remember what he taught.

Martin I believe taught Biology, (along with laurence). Cool guy with a beard iirc. Dissected frogs with him, aswell as did the e coli in a petri dish thing.

Always seemed to wear a blue blazer/jacket... and hush puppy shoes.

Any help with the Physics guy?

I still like, and read about, Physics to this day.

Gettingon,

Glad I made you laugh re Edwards. Please reply to my private email; I would love to know who you are. Re Bill Firth, yes, he wasn't a bad English teacher at all. He and Barwell liked the satirical stories I wrote at the back of my exercise book [which, incidentally were full of nines out of tens, so there etc]. Barwell showed them to her friends apparently. On reflection, they were third-rate Pythonesque rubbish, but perhaps an amusing surprise for bored teachers in a truly awful, depressing school. It was nice that they found them amusing. Other humourless types like Andrews might have marched me to the corpse-strewn lair of the sinister, caped, devilishly-sadistic Edwards.

The Chinese discovered water torture. The Spanish claim the Bastinado as their own. It is said that the French discovered silence as a method of torturing prisoners to madness. Edwards perfected the technique of repeating the same question over and over again, like a tape loop, with insulting remarks thrown in. For example, "Do you understand? What do you understand?" repeated five times before the bewildered and terrified victim can reply, followed by "You are a pig. Yes, you are a pig", and back to the repetitive questioning. He was a lovely man.

i remember the the physics teacher you spoke of. he was still there while i was at hinde house between 83-86 along with gregorian still teachig english lit. not sure of his name - could it be blenkinsop?

interesting to hear your tales of abuse from teachers. by the time i got there all they could do was give out detentions. i remember getting frequent detentions mainly due to an argumentative chap called lester divers who you will have heard of a couple of years back when he was shot dead.

Busymum

Not shot dead at school I hope, things cant be that bad!!

Originally posted by timo

Gettingon,

Glad I made you laugh re Edwards.

You did. I remember him well.

Gettingon,

Other humourless types like Andrews might have marched me to the corpse-strewn lair of the sinister, caped, devilishly-sadistic Edwards.

The Chinese discovered water torture. The Spanish claim the Bastinado as their own. It is said that the French discovered silence as a method of torturing prisoners to madness. Edwards perfected the technique of repeating the same question over and over again, like a tape loop, with insulting remarks thrown in. For example, "Do you understand? What do you understand?" repeated five times before the bewildered and terrified victim can reply, followed by "You are a pig. Yes, you are a pig", and back to the repetitive questioning. He was a lovely man.

I don't ever remember getting called in by him, but if you had any sense at all, you definitely tiptoed past his office.

Originally posted by busymum

i remember the the physics teacher you spoke of. he was still there while i was at hinde house between 83-86 along with gregorian still teachig english lit. not sure of his name - could it be blenkinsop?

Thanks for that busymum.

Did he still use about a 12 foot long spring to demonstrate the propagation of light? I joke about that to this day...

"look, it travels in waves but also in a straight line..." see I did learn sumfink from scoyl.

Of course we now have the particle/wave duality theory of quantum physics...wonder how he demonstrates that? :-)

Busymum, yes by the time you were a pupil Edwards was long gone, and capital [no, I'm not confusing it with corporal...] punishment at Hinde House had been abolished. Gettingon will doubtless recall Mr Ridgeway the Woodwork teacher who was not averse to administering a beating to deserving pupils. He was not a sadistic bully like Edwards, but someone whom the pupils did not view lightly. With his big, Brian Blessed type physique, he was a fair and just man, but a very imposing figure indeed. Interestingly, I met him again around 1979/80 and he told me that post-corporal punishment, the kids "openly laughed" at his attempts to impose non-corporal discipline. I was incredulous...

Originally posted by busymum

gregorian still teachig english lit. interesting to hear your tales of abuse from teachers. by the time i got there all they could do was give out detentions.

Gregorian was my form tutor throughout my time at school 1970-75 and was a good English teacher, although then she was Persian.

Today would have thought she would be Iraqui. ?.

Anyway you say Gregorian was still there in the mid 80s, I always wondered what became of her.

Busymum, yes by the time you were a pupil Edwards was long gone, and capital [no, I'm not confusing it with corporal...] punishment at Hinde House had been abolished. Gettingon will doubtless recall Mr Ridgeway the Woodwork teacher who was not averse to administering a beating to deserving pupils. He was not a sadistic bully like Edwards, but someone whom the pupils did not view lightly. With his big, Brian Blessed type physique, he was a fair and just man, but a very imposing figure indeed.

I do remember Ridgeway Timo. How could I ever forget my lovely teapot stand?

Didn't he used to administer the canings in a small closet just to the right as you entered the (class?) room?

I also remember Napier (constantly pursing lips) in metalwork. I can smell the "lubricant" stench of the classroom now.

We had to make an "L" shape out of the sharpest piece of metal you could imagine. Not my cup of tea with all the lathes and everything.

Funny you should mention Brian Blessed, loved him in early I Claudius, and the 1st season of Black Adder. I'll never forget the scene where they're having a toast in the castle, and instead of clinking everybody's glasses gently, he smashes them all over the floor!

His reaction...the whole scene is priceless!

Cycleracer, I also remember Gregorian. Back in the 70's, I remember thinking it odd being taught English by someone who wasn't ...erm... well...English.

Good Times.

Gettingon

I had mentioned in one of my earlier postings, that Mr Ridgeway was my social studies teacher for 2 years in the senior school, and I remember him being a fair teacher.

Never had a problem with him, but remember him getting the rough boys by the hair and banging there heads against the wall if they misbehaved, usually they were not doing as they were told, but even so, I didnt feel intimidated by him, not like Mr Andrews for some reason.

I think it was Mrs Mason that renovated an old stone country barn or something into a nice house.

It was deralict, and she had these slides and fetched them to school to show us all, I was quite intrigued by it all, as it was totally falling down, even the animals may have been living in it, but it ended up a really nice house.

Not the sort of thing you see in Wincobank, that sort of renovation.

The Christian Union made me puke. I recall the sugary, saccharine, "Jump up and down for Jesus", evangelical form of Christianity they forced down our throats at assembly time. They were all moist eyed at Easter, of course, singing of green hills far away, beyond city walls etc. I remember Mr Wood in a moment of heightened emotion exclaiming, "Jesus LOVES you ALL!". One magnificent boy named Steedon whispered a tad too loudly, "WHY DUNT 'E GEE US A F****** EASTER EGG THEN?". Utter chaos followed with Steedon dragged away like the moneylenders in the temple. I always preferred a traditional approach to Christianity [some would call it "High" Anglican or Tractarian], in which quiet contemplation of the sacraments predominates. Not this lot! We had to endure a concert by Cliff Richard! To my eternal credit I was caned for booing the "Peter Pan of Pop". No wonder some turn to Devilry...