Hinde House Comprehensive

Timo, that must have been after my time ( I am older!!!)

Did Cliffy come to Hinde House then, that must have been the first celebrity.

Nadine,

The Cliff Richard concert was around 75/76. Previously they had foisted Garth Hewitt [who?!] upon us with his moralistic and sentimental songs about life's flotsam and jetsam. I really dislike that kind of happy-clappy, evangelical Christianity as purveyed by anorak-wearing guitarists. All that "Jesus was the first Communist" twaddle. Apparently the Christian Union , or some of them, were pals with the ghastly "Peter Pan of Pop" and he may have even played TWICE [!!] at Hinde House.I suppose I was vulgar to have booed the musical entertainer/evangelist, but the sight of the CU in pathetic adoration, all damp-eyed and self-righteous, stirred me to fury. Given the opportunity today, I would pelt Sir Cliff with eggs and push his face into manure.

Timo

I have to say my husband quite likes Cliff Richard, and we have a bit of a joke about it, because he is too good to be true, and I am not a big fan.

Do you remember his white suits and he danced with his thumbs sticking up, if you know how I mean.

Nadine, no offence intended to your husband [i am sure that he is a great bloke], but this is the first time I have ever heard of a bloke liking Cliff Richard! Well, there's a first time for everything. Yes, I do recall the daft dance the poncy pillock did, with his thumbs out like a right prawn. Sorry, I can't write elegantly about him! What is it that your husband likes about the "Peter Pan of Pop"? This has amused me...

Timo, dont forget that crazy horses thing he did with his knees, flapping them back and forth.

I think it was the bachelor boys days he remembers from his youth.

I laugh at him, and wait for it "He likes country music", I am trying to educate him over the years.

By the way have tracked down my sister now, she saw my posting on this site.

My old man is a bit old fashioned me thinks!!

Originally posted by nsiebert

Timo, that must have been after my time ( I am older!!!)

Did Cliffy come to Hinde House then, that must have been the first celebrity.

I can confirm Cliff Richard did come to Hinde House in 1973 and I was ill on the day so missed him.

Nadine,

I am delighted that you have tracked down your sister. Try and work on your bloke re his Cliff Richard "issues", I'm sure there must be a support group somewhere...

Timo

I will try and counsel him, in marriage we all have our crosses to bear.

Dont forget he is a kiwi, not English like me, so that could explain things.

I wonder what Cliff thought of Hinde House then.

Do you remember that Gary Glitter had a road manager in Brightside, that was about the closest I ever came to celebrity.

Cliff did come and play a few Chrisitian songs at Hinde house - One kid called Craig Simmnet held up a banner saying "SUPER CLIFF WALKS ON WATER" the small R.E teacher (Mr Wood ?) nearly had a heart attack.

Anyone remember the end of year Films shown ?

Dr No, In like Flint ring to mind whilst I was there.

RexT

RexT,

Simnett still hasn't given me back that copy of Eric Idle's Rutland Weekend Television book. If you see him, ask him to pop it in the post. I've been patient haven't I? I loaned it him 27 years ago...! Only kidding.

Martin I believe taught Biology, (along with laurence). Cool guy with a beard iirc. Dissected frogs with him, aswell as did the e coli in a petri dish thing.

Always seemed to wear a blue blazer/jacket... and hush puppy shoes.

Any help with the Physics guy?

I still like, and read about, Physics to this day.

Lordy lordy, he wasnt the guy from Georgieland who I for one couldnt understand, I told him so one day in class, thought he was going to blow a fuse.

Wow, you took a long time to reply to that! :hihi:

Welcome back to the forum by the way :wave: