Hinde House Comprehensive

Remember Mr Hill, Mr Powell and Holmes but not Mrs Merryweather

I remember Harry Holmes from his Owler Lane days. My fingers are still tingling. :)

Doc Martin Biology , Mr White RE were a couple of other teachers

On 10/05/2004 at 10:37, wickerman said:

Hi, and thanks for the reply. Yes you started basically just as I had finished, and had to start at a school in Gloucestershire which was a major cultural shock (not entirely positive). I remember Miss Grigorian very well, I suppose hundreds of years ago she would have been Persian, she was quite cool. But Edwards and Turner were quite the stormtroopers I recall.

Is it true that there was a riot at Hinde House early in your time there? I heard rumour that the kids threw the chairs at the teachers on the assembly hall stage and it made the Sheffield newspaper.

Cheers.

Julian

Miss Grigorian came from Nepal...

Edited by EdmundH
spelling mistake

On 24/05/2019 at 22:51, EdmundH said:

I always thought she was as wickerman said Persian.

On 24/05/2019 at 23:51, EdmundH said:

On 26/05/2019 at 23:48, darra said:

I

Edited by EdmundH

Only just seen this - loved t the Mojo (went from being 13) and was devastated when it closed!

I was 12 when we all went up from Owler Lane to Hinde House but still remember the first time I saw Mr Edwards when he gave us all the welcome speech at Owler Lane -telling us we were ‘the cream’ The next time I saw him was when he appeared from behind the curtains that created our makeshift classroom on the stage - our teacher was late in arriving and we were all gossiping and generally messing about.  He asked one of us why we weren’t working and he made the mistake of saying we had nothing to do whereupon Mr Edwards started tipping everyone’s satchels up, emptying books everywhere to demonstrate there was plenty we could be doing!!

On ‎24‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 22:51, EdmundH said:

She wasn't from Nepal she came from Persia

A few people have posted about a riot. The one I remember was after HH had lost to City Grammar school at the football ground facing Concord Sports Centre. It was reported in the Star some of the coaches that had brought the CGS team and supporters were attacked. I left HH in 1971 the last year you could leave at 15 so I imagine it  was 70/71.

On 23/10/2019 at 10:51, Cycleracer said:

She wasn't from Nepal she came from Persia

Correct Paul

On 20/01/2020 at 20:15, hobinfoot said:

A few people have posted about a riot. The one I remember was after HH had lost to City Grammar school at the football ground facing Concord Sports Centre. It was reported in the Star some of the coaches that had brought the CGS team and supporters were attacked. I left HH in 1971 the last year you could leave at 15 so I imagine it  was 70/71.

I remember that. From what I heard a lad called Gordon Kettle hit one of their teachers and not sure if the Police weren't called to sort it out. Again if i remember correctly HH were  banned from playing football at home or something. Think the match in question was a cup game and HH were banned from playing in the cup the following year

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 22:50, darra said:

Correct Paul

I remember that. From what I heard a lad called Gordon Kettle hit one of their teachers and not sure if the Police weren't called to sort it out. Again if i remember correctly HH were  banned from playing football at home or something. Think the match in question was a cup game and HH were banned from playing in the cup the following year

I was at school on that day but the teacher barricaded the door so we couldn't get out of the classroom and remember all the pupils running past the outside calling us scabs lol, reet embarrassing

On 24/01/2020 at 22:50, darra said:

Correct Paul

It was the schools cup final.