Lodge Moor local history

Hi

Moved into Lodge Moor area recently and started getting interested in the local history. I've read snippets of info about the Roman Road and the WW1 training camp and WW2 POW camp. Are there any recommended books, websites etc on the subject ?

Ta

Col S

Remember not to stray off the paths up there, particularly when the moon is full!!

Try http://www.spinal.co.uk It's a pdf file file giving details about the Lodge Moor Isolation hospital. The book -Hospital on the Moor-is written by a local who may have more information. Her name and address are on the site.

The POW camp was turned into a gypsy camp. Is it still there?

Hi

The link didn't work but if it's the same book, I think it's one that I borrowed from the library last month. Quite an interesting read, especially about the American Air Force plane that crashed on the hospital in 1955.

There is a gypsy/traveller camp on Redmires Rd about half a mile past the 3 Merry Lads, but it only looks a small site.

Thanks for the info though.

Col S

I remember, vaguely, back in the late 40's/early 50's, when my dad was the trainer for Wadsley Bridge working mens club soccer team, going with him to a match at Lodge Moor. As I was only about 9 or 10, my attention soon shifted to the remains of what looked like an army camp. I went exploring with an older lad, and, in one of the buildings, he showed me a name written on one of the walls. KARL DOENITZ was the name, unknown to me at the time, but later I learned that this was Admiral Doenitz, of WW2 fame in the German navy! True story, as far as me seeing a name, but I didn't recognize it at the time.

Karl Doenitz was imprisoned in Spandau Prison as a war criminal from 1946-1956 so I don't think he would have spent time in Lodge Moor. Could have been a member of the German Navy carving the admirals name though.

Interesting story though.

I've just posted a notice in the Events forum, with details of a Ranmoor History exhibition this coming weekend.

Suspect the material won't stretch to the Lodge Moor area - but I bet you'll find some folks there who will know some information...or will know someone who knows iyswim!

Cheers, Carrie

Thanks for that. I'll check it out.

Col

Cols, you are probably right, but I just finished Googling Karl Doenitz. His bio says he was a british POW from 1918-1919 (not sure what months) but it didn't say where he was imprisoned!

Was Lodge Moor a prison back then?

Lodge Moor camp is nothing but concrete base slabs now overgrown with trees. No buildings still standing. Fascinating old roads and layout though......

Col,

I read your recent note which mentioned a jet which crashed at Lodge Moor with much interest. So I went and registered with the forum, and here I am.

I was raised in Lodge Moor up to the age of ten perhaps, and was there when the crash happened.

'Been looking for some time on the internet for some reference to the event.

It was an American F80 Shooting Star and crashed on to the hospital killing a woman, and the pilot I recall.

We lived along Lodge Moor Road, at number 28, close to the hospital perimeter and the family was gathered in the back room. I remember the flash thru the curtains and the bang. And my father and a neighbour running out to help.

F80's were prone to unreliability and underpowered with a single engine. Many were lost around that time.

Anyway, I'll continue to read your forum. Perhaps someone else will remember the event, and it looks like a very good site anyway. Actually I got into it looking for data on Roman roads. Now I'm rambling. No pun intended.

Welcome Bob and thanks for the info.

I probably live about 200 yards from where you used to live. You're probably well aware that Redmires Rd (The Causeway) was a Roman road originating from Buxton, part of which is now under the Redmires resevoirs.

Hope you spend many happy hours on the forum. Here's a good source of info if you'r e interested in aicraft crashes in the Peaks but it doesn't mention this particular one.

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Regards

Col