Where to go for ear piercing?

can anyone tell me some places in sheffield to go for ear peircing please ?

thanks ! clare :wave: x

Claire's Accessories do ear pearcing - on Chapel Walk and in Meadowhall.

try a piercing or tattoo shop, such as feline.. migyt cost ya a bit more but should be done properly theen. if not, claires or hairdressers even

I would definately recommend going to a proper piercing shop. They will pierce with a hollow needle which makes for much easier healing of the piercing. As said, it may cost a little more, but having been pierced both ways, a needle is much better!

Claire's Accessories do ear pearcing - on Chapel Walk and in Meadowhall.

I'd be too worried about the amount of germs and other peoples blood on the "gun", plus I wouldn't trust a 16 year old to pierce my ear.

I used to be manager at claires accessories, and can assure you that every girl piercing has had full training and has passed a certificated course in ear piercing before being allowed to pierce the general public's ears. They don't use needles, piercing instead with the actual earrings, so there is no chance of cross contamination from other people. They wear gloves, and use hospital grade antibacterial hand wash and instrument wash before and after each piercing. If you are still unsure, pop in and ask a few questions - or better yet, watch a piercing being undertaken. Every Claire's Accessories has to be awarded a certificate from the local council saying that they are liscensed to pierce ears too, so have a look at that. You'd be surprised how many places that offer piercings dont have that certificate. :o

If you are still unsure, pop in and ask a few questions - or better yet, watch a piercing being undertaken.

I'd recommend waiting until a small child is being done for the maximum entertainment value.

I used to be manager at claires accessories, and can assure you that every girl piercing has had full training and has passed a certificated course in ear piercing before being allowed to pierce the general public's ears. They don't use needles, piercing instead with the actual earrings, so there is no chance of cross contamination from other people. They wear gloves, and use hospital grade antibacterial hand wash and instrument wash before and after each piercing. If you are still unsure, pop in and ask a few questions - or better yet, watch a piercing being undertaken. Every Claire's Accessories has to be awarded a certificate from the local council saying that they are liscensed to pierce ears too, so have a look at that. You'd be surprised how many places that offer piercings dont have that certificate. :o
as far as i know... its much better to be pierced by needles!

..however i had a couple of my ear piercings done at claires and although the gun makes it hurt more than nipple piercings and not one of the 4 are in even positions to the one on the other ear... they didnt do a bad job i guess. perhaps a little less scary way for little kids to get em done, although i think it will be straight to the piercing shop wi my little girl when shes older

It's also a better idea to go to a proper piercing place if you want something other than the ear lobe pierced, the top of your ear for example.

The thing with piercing with the gun is that you are forcing a blunt object through tissue very fast which literally causes the flesh to rip open to make room for the jewellery. This in most cases causes tissue trauma causing swelling & the jewellery can become lodged in the ear & you would have to have it cut out. Once the jewellery has been forced through the ear it then pinches the back of jewellery in place snugly against the skin, which doesn’t allow the new wound to breath & heal properly. You are then told to turn the jewellery twice a day, this pushes growing bacteria in to the wound which cant breath which then in turn causes infection. Also many people don’t think to wash their hands before touching the jewellery which can cause even more infection.

You say that there is no risk of cross contamination but piercing guns aren’t sterile. Wiping the gun with a sterile wipe doesn’t sterilise the equipment. The only way to truly kill all nasties is to autoclave the gun but they are made with plastic, which would melt in an autoclave. Wiping with a sterile alcohol or antiseptic wipe is not an effective way of removing disease-carrying blood. I’ve heard people say that the gun doesn’t touch the customers flesh but they do & even if they don’t manage to touch the flesh with the gun the piercee has to touch the persons flesh & then touches the gun. When the gun pushes the stud through the ear & the ear starts to bleed how do you know that tiny blood particles haven’t gone all over the gun?

You say that all people that work at Claire’s have training in ear piercing, exactly how long is this training? What type of training is given? What do you practice on? How do you make sure that the piercing area that is been worked in is sterile? A tattoo & piercing salon has strict rules to adhere too with regards to cleanliness & will sterilise the whole working area for each customer but from what I have seen at Claire’s you just sit on a chair in the window.

You also need to know about the area being pierced, do you get training on the human body. Where nerves lie & en, do you get training on how the body reacts to piercings & how piercings affect the circulatory system. I know Claire’s only do ear piercings but I have seen them do helix (top of ear) piercings with a gun, which is one of the worse places you can have done with a gun really. Forcing a blunt pierce of jewellery through cartilage shatters & ruptures it & that swelling will never go down.

Then there is the jewellery itself. Piercing jewellery is very important, you should never pierce with silver or gold. Silver can kill if put into a piercing as it contains a chemical that can poison you. Gold is too soft, it scratches too easily, those tiny scratches harbour bacteria which cause infection, it’s also very brittle & can leave tiny bits of metal in your piercing. Gold is fine to be put in healed ear piercings only (not other body piercing) but silver is not. Gold or silver-plated is never ever to be put in piercings as the plating is easily removed & the metal underneath is very low quality.

I would always have my piercings done with a needle any day. A hollow needle is sharp & slices safely through the flesh making way for the jewellery, which is put in after. Most of the equipment comes out of sterile packaging & is then thrown away in a sharps box. Anything that is not thrown away is auto claved. The barbells & captive bead rings are designed to aid healing. They are designed to help with the removal of dirt & bacteria effectively, making it easier to clean & move easily there fore healing much quicker & in turn lowering the risk of infection. The jewellery will be of higher quality too, surgical steel, titanium & ptfe, these products give the chances of an infection & reaction free piercing.

I agree piercers aren’t always trained properly outside of London but I can guarantee that they will have more knowledge of piercing & the whole process because their lively hood depends on it. There aren’t that many piercers that aren’t trained in this country because there are still strict regulations that have to be adhered to when opening a piercing parlour. There should be more rules &regulations for tattoos & piercings, it should be a lot stricter, people can be killed from piercings that haven’t been performed properly & given the correct information about cleaning.

I was just going to reply with the cons and cons of using a gun to pierce any part of the body, but SaxonLeigh beat me to it. Couldnt have put it better myself.

Ive had peircings done both ways and would agree a needle is the better option as far sharper and efficient than an earring stud. claires do pierce the top of the ear, but more painfull than a needle.

Peircing shop every time!