Annoying Americans

So ive just come back from France, anyway i was sat in a Parisian bar on Saturday evening when this American walks in goes up to the bar and says to the barman give me a cold beer and make it a large one, then later that night im sat in a resturant and these 2 yanks are ordering a meal and when the waiter couldnt fully understand what they where wanting to order the Americans start getting annoyed and where rather rude and obnoxious to the guy, i was thinking yo dude your in France try speaking a bit of the lingo and you might get somewhere.

Ok i dont expect everyone to speak fulent in the language of the counrty they are in, my French isnt good but i can manage a few basics like ordering food & drink ect ect the simple things.

Maybe its me but i always try to master the basics of the country im in, if its only things like hello, please & thank you, but i get the feeling that some people just expect everyone to speak English, yes i know its just not Americans that do it us Brits are just as bad.

yes i know its just not Americans that do it us Brits are just as bad.

But the title of your thread is 'Annoying Americans'? :huh:

I get so annoyed with misleading thread titles! It's even more annoying than annoying Americans annoying me! :rant:

With the advent of the internet and easier international travel, we will find languages other than English dying out.

The only other competitor is German which is called the engineers language.

people speaking French and other continental languages sound like bufoons.

We must however steer clear of 'americanisms' these are most irritating and are becoming common parlance among our young people.

For example I recieved a letter from an organisation, it gave directions to its HQ. One of these gave directions from the "Train Station". This must be the most stupid names ever created. It is like something a three year old would say. If we are going to speak English lets speak it correctly.

Not "As She is Spoke"

These were individuals not all Americans.

And Spanish is more widely used than German.

Travel more....

Guest Pauly
One of these gave directions from the "Train Station". This must be the most stupid names ever created. It is like something a three year old would say. If we are going to speak English lets speak it correctly.

What do you call it then? :suspect:

Guest Pauly

I've heard 3 year olds and adults call it either a train station or a railway station. Not sure either one makes the user sound inept in the 'proper' english language though. :roll:

Cue silly pointless arguments where the thread goes completely off track (scuse the pun) and the usual self-appointed forum boffins state how intelligent they are, where they learned english etc. :hihi:

Ok i put annoying Americans beacause while i was in France from what i witnessed it was only the Americans that where not trying to communicate in French. I think what annoyed me was the fact they just automatically expected everyone to speak English. At times i had trouble with the language barrier but i didnt start acting like a complete prat, buts not just the language thing i found that all Americans i happened to be around to be annoying and obnoxious most of the time, but hey thats just my opinion.

Now i hope that not all Americans are like that when overseas, im sure there not but when you see it happen time & time again you do start to think yeah maybe they are all just annoying pricks.

Ok i dont expect everyone to speak fulent in the language of the counrty they are in, my French isnt good but i can manage a few basics like ordering food & drink ect ect the simple things.

Maybe its me but i always try to master the basics of the country im in, if its only things like hello, please & thank you, but i get the feeling that some people just expect everyone to speak English, yes i know its just not Americans that do it us Brits are just as bad.

okay so as they were trying to order food.. can you learn enough to order food etc. for every country that you go to? i mean.. u just said that u only learn hello etc.. so how would u order food without expecting the locals to speak english???

If we could teach Americans to speak English ???????

How about some Sheffielders learning to speak English for starters ?:hihi: