Roadworks at the Ecclesall Road / Summerfield St junction

Thanks for that.

i'm only kidding. I do sincerely think it's great your explaining things as you are.

I'm glad this is being changed, as it's long overdue. I don't drive so I can't give a motorist's viewpoint, but as a pedestrian it's dangerous and a bit scary. As others have said, there's no time when a pedestrian can freely cross without cars passing. If you're heading towards Waitrose you have to cross three lanes, which either have the closest two lanes turning onto Ecclesall Road or the furthest lane receiving cars turning right from Ecclesall Road. I tend to just run across all three lanes, as I can't currently see a better way of doing it.

I believe the main problem with this junction was that when turning right from Ecc Rd visibility was very poor. The height of the central reservation railings made it v difficult to see cars approaching clearly. This is presumably why it is perceived as safer to turn into Pear Street as visibility is good at this point.

Be careful the lights are not working at all this morning!

Be careful the lights are not working at all this morning!

I heard that on the radio this morning so avoided that route like the plague! I bet it was chaos.

I heard that on the radio this morning so avoided that route like the plague! I bet it was chaos.

Nope, I sailed through. No lights to hold me up. :)

I heard it on the radio, telling me how jammed it was, just as I sailed right through with barely any traffic around. It just proves what nonsense radio traffic reports can be.

I heard it on the radio, telling me how jammed it was, just as I sailed right through with barely any traffic around. It just proves what nonsense radio traffic reports can be.

Hallam FM traffic reports are usually a work of fiction.

They get a report that some lights are out and immediately announce that the City Centre is gridlocked.. :rolleyes::D

Wowser - I never thought my thread would go this big :)

I kind of get the drift about the right turn and peds

So how is burning across from one side to the other at the Pomona/Garage junction going to help?

Lets face it arent people who need to go this way just gonna race through the side streets which are NOT designed for serious traffic?

Isnt this a pedestrian hazard too?

Or will ths rat run be terminated too?

cheers

d

Wowser - I never thought my thread would go this big :)

So how is burning across from one side to the other at the Pomona/Garage junction going to help?

Lets face it arent people who need to go this way just gonna race through the side streets which are NOT designed for serious traffic?

Isnt this a pedestrian hazard too?

Or will ths rat run be terminated too?

cheers

d

Not sure what you mean about "burning across" please expand.

The point is that there isn't a "serious" amount of traffic turning right at the traffic lights anyway. Pear St and Napier st are narrow and heavily parked during the day, so I can't see anyone "racing" through there.

We have the "before" traffic figures and we will do an after study to see what happens after we go live with the junction improvements. Then an informed decision can be taken on what (if anything) needs to be done with Pear St / Napier St.

The accidents I've nearly witnessed are mostly due to idiots changing lane as they turn right out of Summerfield st onto eccy rd. Not a fault of the rouad layout, just people who don't know how to drive round a corner.

The accidents I've nearly witnessed are mostly due to idiots changing lane as they turn right out of Summerfield st onto eccy rd. Not a fault of the rouad layout, just people who don't know how to drive round a corner.

Yes, I agree, but they could make that right turn a lot easier by not having such a sharp turn to the right! With it being as sharp as it is, it makes u naturally swing out to the other lane. Taking the right slowly helps avoid this.