Young family moving to sheffield

Just got a job in sheffield and will be moving to the area at the beginning of september. Could really do with some advice about where to move to as I don't have a clue??

Looking to rent at first. Need to be in area with good transport links to university and hospitals, have good nursery's and be a relatively safe area. 2 areas that have been suggested to me are Walkley and Hillsborough; any advice on these or any other areas would be very much appreciated.

rob

Where are you moving from?

Which hospital and which uni do you need to be handy for?

cheers

d

PS Are you on a 5 year contract ??

If you read The Guardian then Walkley, Crookes, Meersbrook. If you read The Sun / Mirror then Hillsborough. If you wear Burberry then not near me please.

If you read The Guardian then Walkley, Crookes, Meersbrook. If you read The Sun / Mirror then Hillsborough. If you wear Burberry then not near me please.

A sweeping, (yet accurate), statement. :hihi:

Just got a job in sheffield and will be moving to the area at the beginning of september. Could really do with some advice about where to move to as I don't have a clue??

Looking to rent at first. Need to be in area with good transport links to university and hospitals, have good nursery's and be a relatively safe area. 2 areas that have been suggested to me are Walkley and Hillsborough; any advice on these or any other areas would be very much appreciated.

Finding decent rental property may not be easy, does not seem to be much around worth having. If your kids are school age I'd factor that in as schools vary more than areas.

Other than what has been said most places in the S8 area are good too and has good transport links.

A bit unfair I think nowadays - I'm a recently moved to Hillsborough resident who reads almost anything (including the Guardian) EXCEPT the other papers you've named here and others of their ilk. And I know quite a few folk who work at the RHH who choose to live here too. And I can remember Burberry when it was worn by middle aged folk and considered dull. :D

Sorry Macbeth - it was a tongue in cheek comment.

I read the Guardian AND live in Hillsborough. However, the shopkeeper does make me take it out of the shop in a brown paper bag. :hihi:

Seriously, if a nursery is important, then there is one in Walkley but a wider choice in Hillsborough, and I think it's fair to say that transport links are generally better from Hillsborough than Walkley (and much easier on the tram with a pushchair than a bus!).

rob

Where are you moving from?

Which hospital and which uni do you need to be handy for?

cheers

d

PS Are you on a 5 year contract ??

Thanks everyone for replying, it's given me abit to think about. Still wondering though whether Hillsborough, Walkley and the S8 area are generally thought to be family friendly areas then?

p.s. In response to your question d. Will need to be near both universities for myself and my partner. I will also need to get about across the city and other areas as will be working all around the area.

Thanks everyone for replying, it's given me abit to think about. Still wondering though whether Hillsborough, Walkley and the S8 area are generally thought to be family friendly areas then?

p.s. In response to your question d. Will need to be near both universities for myself and my partner. I will also need to get about across the city and other areas as will be working all around the area.

Frankly if you are used to somewhere nice Hillsborough might seem a bit grim, unless you live on the edge of it it's built up and rather hemmed in. Also too near the football ground is not a good idea.

Walkley is a bit of a Guardian readers enclave and nearby Crookes even more so - you'll find plenty of Doctor and Uni types there.

S8 is typical green suburb on the whole, it is family friendly with the biggest park in Sheffield, local shops, nurseries and decent schools (if you pick carefully - some are defo better than others esp amongst the secondary ones).

Good luck :)

Wouldent say hill's is grim at all ..... mind you look at my avitar :hihi:

Wouldent say hill's is grim at all ..... mind you look at my avitar :hihi:

True, compared to your avatar it's not! :D