Sign in to follow this  

Does controlled crying really work?

Been doing this at night for some time now and still I have approximately an hour and a half of relentless crying from my little one...every night. Any tips?

none. feel sorry for you though

How did you start off doing it? most of the advice is that you leave them for 2mins 1st then go in, next night 3, next 4 at 5 do for 2 night as it's quite long and keep going. a lot of people get results but then how long can people cope with a baby crying its eyes out....

I wouldn't be able to leave a baby crying for a long time, I'd want to go in and comfort the poor little mite (and no, not like that, I'm no paedo)

it's not just that, i hate it when a baby cries for more than a little while as they can't tell you what's wrong. but also after living next to idiots with dogs that bark all the time...well a baby's cry is a lot worse....imagine having that through your walls at 3am...just wouldnt be fun. i suppose it's hard to know what to do

I have to say everyone I know with children apart form one fellow sufferer raved about the controlled crying method, until I thought I had the child from hell.

Over the two weeks we did this she cried until she vomited, banged her head on the top of the cot so hard that she had a bruise on her forehead in the shape of a thin line.

She cried for hours and hours and hours it was just after the 2 weeks and I gave up. I have only met one other Mum that it didn't work for.

She settled alot easier if we went in ignored her and read a book.

I guess its just whatever works for you. Good luck with it.

Have you tried wrapping the baby tightly in a blanket? Wrap the baby so his arms are inside.

That worked with my little horrors.

I did all that...kept increasing the minutes. Got to 20 and it wasn't getting any better. So, have gone back because I can not bear that every night he cries himself hoarse. He is fine when I go in the room so I know it is just cos he does not like to be alone. Bless him. Have also tried the technique where I stay close to his bed until he falls asleep, each night moving my chair further towards the door until I am almost out of sight. However, that didn't work. He just gets too excited when I am in the room!

aww bless him. have you tried giving him something of yours? this way he'll smell you and it might feel like you're there? I know someone who had a carboard cutout of themself made....put it in the room at night....worked a treat....found it a bit creepy myself!!

Right...am going to strip off now and leave him with my top. Not tried this one. Doing it now. Will keep you posted!

yea it works.. have had to do it a few times as she soon get outta the habit of sleeping alone if i let it slip for like one night! they say that it may take up to a week so dont panic after a couple of days. how old is your baby? the HV said when i first tried it when she was about 4-5months not to leave too long between going in and out as it will be distressing for them.. though when older can leave longer + longer etc. i didnt actually do it when she was tiny as couldnt stand the crying but leaving ma top or when she was breastfeeding a blanket with a little bit of breastmilk on it seemed to settle her a bit easier. good luck with it anyways! sorry if that aint too helpful! XX

o yeah, dont know if ya already do it but although difficult to keep up sometimes a consistant nightime routine of bath, book, milk then bed or something is a big help.. winds them down and lets them know when its time to bed X