What are you reading at the moment ?

unless you have an outstanding and truly original voice that can transcend what's going on in publishing....

That's me folks! :thumbsup:(I wish)

...unless you actually live in a timewarp...

That's me, too! :thumbsup:

Well, I've always said moving to a village in southern Germany is like going back a generation. It's quite good, too, most of the time!

Oh and by the way, could someone please tell me how to include more than one quote in a reply. I know it's been asked elsewhere before but I can't find it. :help:

I still dont believe that reading a lot of books (which I do) makes you a good writer . Also some people think if you are seated in a relaxing atmosphere e.g.Garden, sea-shore, that you will write better. I dont believe this. With writing, youve either got it, or you havent. Im thinking William Shakespeare.What books could he have read for inspiration ? There couldnt have been many around.

Structure in a novel isn't timeless. A linear narrative structure [/Quote]

I hear what you're saying, but I'm not convinced narrative structure is the same as plot structure. Take Pulp Fiction as an exmple of how a fresh narrative structure can make an average plot more entertaining... And of course there will be many examples (Christie, arguably) where average narrative can constipate plot structure.

Plot is timeless, at least in terms of classic structure, hero's journey etc.

I still dont believe that reading a lot of books (which I do) makes you a good writer.

Maybe not, but NOT reading widely will hamper your development, and render you blind to cliche. Hmm, so actually, I guess reading widely WILL make you a better writer after all

I hear what you're saying, but I'm not convinced narrative structure is the same as plot structure. ...

Narrative structure is the structure of the story; the way in which the plot is presented to the reader.

...Take Pulp Fiction as an exmple of how a fresh narrative structure can make an average plot more entertaining... And of course there will be many examples (Christie, arguably) where average narrative can constipate plot structure. ...

Yes, the structure of many Christie novels is linear: introduction to characters -> murder of one of the characters -> interview of the characters to establish motive and alibi -> final scene where Poirot reveals the solution.

The Pulp Fiction screenplay is clearly more modern and very definitely non-linear.

Plot is timeless, at least in terms of classic structure, hero's journey etc.

I'd agree with that.

Maybe not, but NOT reading widely will hamper your development, and render you blind to cliche. Hmm, so actually, I guess reading widely WILL make you a better writer after all

Isn't there a Stephen King quote somewhere in 'On Writing' about how reading others' work and endless practice will make an average writer good, but won't make a good writer great?

my personal take is that you do need to read as widely as possible- i hae a thing for intructuion manuals at the moment. things just seep into you. new ways of saying things and that. but i do think that reading widely with the express aim of finding other ways of doing things can be detrimental to, not only your own 'voice' but even your basic writing. thank you, kaimani, for being the minister of stating the bloody obvious.

Isn't there a Stephen King quote somewhere in 'On Writing' about how reading others' work and endless practice will make an average writer good, but won't make a good writer great?

I would say that reading others works will make a bad writer average,and an average writer a little better.:hihi: :hihi: Just my opinion that, but its nice to hear what others think.

I always say, “You can learn to write, you can learn to write better but you have to have a gift to be a good writer”

But what is a good writer we all have our own opinions.

:huh:

I always say, “You can learn to write, you can learn to write better but you have to have a gift to be a good writer”

But what is a good writer we all have our own opinions.

:huh:

Very good point. I suppose a starting point would be to say that good writing is that which is deemed worthy of publication. There are a hell of a lot of very poorly-written books out there, though (Dan Brown et al take a bow).

What defines a good author? There are some authors out there whose writing style and use of language is so easy to read one of their books is like inhaling information.

Alternatively there are some bad authors that have the opposite effect, to read their excruciating tomes feels like some kind of punishment.

But this is subjective, “great literary minds” may argue the Sylvia Plath & J.D Sallinger are ‘good authors’. Having read their work I would disagree. I can only attribute my inability to appreciate the “genius” of their work to the fact I am insufficiently deranged.

(Insert sarcastic rebuttal HERE, folks--->_______________ )

But I do agree that the more books you read the better writer you would become, you do indeed pick things up by osmosis or, if you have an analytical mind, you can consciously dissect the other writers work and learn from the way they do things.