What are you reading at the moment ?

I've just read "Chasing Angels" by Sally Zigmond--it's a novella, and I'll admit that Sally's a friend of mine. I really enjoyed it, and wish she would publish more.

I've just read "Chasing Angels" by Sally Zigmond--it's a novella, and I'll admit that Sally's a friend of mine. I really enjoyed it, and wish she would publish more.

What is a "novella".? How lucky to know a proper published authoress.

A novella is longer than a short story but shorter than a novel. There are arguments about the exact size but a novella could be defined as having a word count between 17,500 and 40,000 or 60 to 130 pages.

I’ve never read anything by Sally Zigmond but I have just looked her up on the internet and she offers some very sound advice – like a more concise version of Stephen Kings “On writing” – especially the tip that you should put your writing in a drawer for at least a week before re-editing.

The top ten mistakes new fiction authors make. by Sally Zigmond - this really is very good and should be required reading for the group members!

A novella is just a shortish novel. "Chasing Angels" is about 140 pages long, and only about 40-50,000 words, I think. So short for a novel. And yes, I'm lucky to know Sally but that's mostly because she's a lovely friend. We're having lunch together tomorrow, and I am very much looking forward to it.

Ooops, soory--posted over you, Mantaspook. Yep, that's Sally. She used to edit a literary magazine, and is very good at writing and criticising short stories. She's shredded several of mine!

I am re-reading Audrey Niffenegger's Time Travellers Wife. just moved house and found it in a box!

I am about to start The Tenderness of Wolves by Stef Penny. It has been sat on my desk for weeks but I just haven't found the time to pick it up before now.

Have been sorting out lots of books to go to charity shops or sell, and rediscovered a box of books not yet read * - just like Christmas, but no need to write thank you notes! So am reading Anita Shreeve's 'Body surfing' and have a whole pile of books to keep me busy for a while - bliss.

* had to move loads of things whilst I decorated the dining room, where the majority of my bookcases are, and it has been a long job putting eveything back.

I am reading " You Cant take It With You" by Jane & Mike Tomlinson. She is dying with cancer and has done lots of charity work (running etc) . I had previously read her first story of her discovering that she had breast cancer called " The Luxury Of Time" which was excellent.

My sister-in-law, in Sheffield, recommended this book but I haven't managed to find a copy locally (most tractors here are John Deere or Ford anyway). i will have to try Amazon.

Regards