What are you reading at the moment ?

Nigel West's history of the Special Operations Executive

CG Jung's 'Four Archetypes'.

I am reading a paperback from the local library. The cover looks very "Art Noveau"

It's "A Daisy Dalrymple Mystery".....Murder on the Flying Scotsman, set in the early 1920s.

I won't go into the details, but I was suspicious when I saw an exstensive Family Tree on the 4th page, prior to the Prologue......

It took 60 pages to get into the story, with family characters popping in and out of a bl**dy railway carriage where Miss Dalrymple happened to be seated. I virtually lost the will to live just reading the character introductions.

I am now on page 161 and it's starting to get into the plot! :loopy:

How to write a mystery novel......NOT!

I shall see it out though! I am not a quitter! :hihi:

I am reading a paperback from the local library. The cover looks very "Art Noveau"

It's "A Daisy Dalrymple Mystery".....Murder on the Flying Scotsman, set in the early 1920s.

I won't go into the details, but I was suspicious when I saw an exstensive Family Tree on the 4th page, prior to the Prologue......

It took 60 pages to get into the story, with family characters popping in and out of a bl**dy railway carriage where Miss Dalrymple happened to be seated. I virtually lost the will to live just reading the character introductions.

I am now on page 161 and it's starting to get into the plot! :loopy:

How to write a mystery novel......NOT!

I shall see it out though! I am not a quitter! :hihi:

You dont seem the "Daisy Dalrymple" type shoeshine.! :D

You dont seem the "Daisy Dalrymple" type shoeshine.! :D

I'll read anything, pattricia, except the Sporting Chronical and the football results!

I remember the first word I ever read on a paper. I can even remember where I was and what I was doing too.

It was the word "Izal" :o

Shoeshine - I'm amazed. I'm reading "Mistletoe and Murder" - a Daisy Dalrymple mystery, borrowed from my local library. I must say I'm finding it hard to be gripped and am tempted to skip onto my Agatha Raisin. Would you recommend persevering and are the others in the series any better ?

Anyone reading books they got for Christmas? I'm timesharing between my gifts of "Michael Palin's Diaries" and Ben Elton's "Chart Throb". That's several inches of hardback! :D I've been quite impressed by Elton's writing from what I've read so far: "Gridlock", "High Society", "Dead Famous"; easy to read and unputdownable :huh:

I was tempted to buy Michael Palin’s Diaries at Christmas. What’s it like?

I have just finished two books this week “Case Closed” by Gerald Posner which is the definitive book about the John F. Kennedy assassination and cuts through all the BS I have read in many of the other assassination books. Highly recommended if you have an interest in history and like solving information jigsaws, it was a pleasure to read a book on this subject where the pieces hadn’t been sculpted by the author to fit their personal hypothesis of events.

The second book I have just finished is “Vulcan 607” by Rowland White which is about the RAF’s first “Black Buck” raid on Port Stanley airport during the Falklands War.

I’m left with a sense of wonder that they managed to hit anything at all considering the half-assed way they way about things, for instance, they found the old bomb racks in a scrap yard and had to scour the world for Vulcan refuelling probes that hadn’t been filled with cement…talk about a wing and a prayer. Some intrepid Heath-Robinson engineering held together with green string and sticky tape.

Not recommended reading I’m afraid, I lost interest 2/3 of the way through and was getting really hacked off with how much taxpayers money was wasted on inter-service rivalry when a couple of Navy Sea harriers with a laser designated 1000lb bombs could have caused more damage. Don’t get me started saying we didn’t have laser designators in the Falklands WE DID! I saw them on the news. [throws book out of window in disgust!]

Anyone reading books they got for Christmas? I'm timesharing between my gifts of "Michael Palin's Diaries" and Ben Elton's "Chart Throb". That's several inches of hardback! :D I've been quite impressed by Elton's writing from what I've read so far: "Gridlock", "High Society", "Dead Famous"; easy to read and unputdownable :huh:

I'm just coming to the end of High Society, a good book for the boring train journey to work...

i read a lot of non fiction-biographies, any religious books from any religion i can find and books about said religions. i'm not a bible basher or tree hugger or anything though. and a lot of, i'm kind of ashamed to say, slef help stuff and that. just finshed 'the eniagram'. but i do read some fiction. re reading paulo quelo's the alchemist at the moment. good book.

I'm just coming to the end of High Society, a good book for the boring train journey to work...

Is that the High Society that was made into a musical ?

Thought I might as well drop my two-penneth in:

Just started reading Stephen King's "Lisey's Story". I know he gets a lot of bad press, but he's a model pro who always entertains. It's good, typically-King stuff.

Recently read Brett Easton's old gut-churner "American Psycho". I wish I could say something original about it, but like most people, I found myself sometimes feeling ill, sometimes laughing out loud, and ultimately confused.

Oh, also, I recently discovered Glen Duncan's "I Lucifer". Marvellous book, fantastic writer.

Do people on the forum actually hardly read anything or do they just not talk about it? I have a good hours reading every day just on the way to and from work and get through loads of stuff.

I read all sorts. Novels of all types, Natural History, Biographies, History, Science and lots more.

At the moment I'm reading "Shout - The True Story of The Beatles" by Philip Norman.

There is so much in it - not just the main narrative, but all the stories of related people and the history of the period. I'd advise anyone who has even a passing interest to give it a try.