Abbeydale Grammar School for Girls

I was in Fry House 1944-1949,but don't think I was outstandingly bright !!!!! If I was nobody mentioned the fact.

I was in Fry House 1944-1949,but don't think I was outstandingly bright !!!!! If I was nobody mentioned the fact.

I am told by two ex pupils who became head teachers in and around Sheffield that AGGS only took the top 2%, the mensa equivalent in short, so yes you were bright. And I hope still are. I was a Goslin so was pleased to see a Gosling.

I went to Abbeydale from 1959 to 1964 and was in Marvel House and our colour was yellow. The other houses then were Darling, Cavell and Nightingale. I am sure that there was a form created from our year called Fry that had the brightest of the year in and they advanced a year. I am sure that there was not a Fry house at that time - altho I am obviously getting on now !!!

I was in Marvel too from 1959-64. Janet Goslin. Do you remember me? Would love to know who you were then. Do you remember Jean Gaunt?

There was another Gosling in my form her name was Doreen, no relation to me,I was never able to contact her as I don't know her married name but I was told that a few years ago she was living in Scarborough

I attended that wonderful school in 1950,The Beak was principle when I took 11plus,my Mum said, "if you can't pass high enough for Abbydale, don't bother trying", she considered it the only one good enough!.Luckly I did,got the best education ever,my kids consider me Brain of Britain,all thanks to that school. do any of you girls remember ever being summoned to Dr Green room?one of the most terrifying experiences of my life,I wish the Gov. had never brought in Comprehensive Ed. I think that education has gone downhill since then,we have illiterate kids aged 12 to 15 ,at least in our day most kids could at least read and write. The girls I remember were Valery Beal,who lived at Norton,Olga Khan

Forgot to mention, I was in Nightingale

Hi Oriel, I took think Abbeydale gave us the best all round education possible and often know things that surprise me and realise - ah yes, Abbeydale is responsible for that! I never was summoned to Dr Green - but wasn't she so frightening. I have lost my school photo, the long one of the whole school, in one of my many house moves but would love to see her again. I was there from 1959-64.

one of my mates was called Stella did ?
My mum went there but not from those years ! Shes 75 now.

Hi, I'm a bit later than most of you. I went to Abbeydale from 1964 to 1967 (at which time we left Sheffield). I was in Cavell. I'm really enjoying reading this thread - thanks!:)

My sister is now 67. She would have been 11 in 1955 so I suppose she would have left in 1960. Anne Barron.

I went to Abbeydale Boys from 1960 and I seem to remember a Grange Grammer on the same site. Reading other theads from later pupils of the schools it seems to be all different. The buildings appear to have been mixed up.

Hi girls, or 'ladies' as you all are now ! I have no connection with AGGS but knew well one of your teachers which no one seems to have mentioned. (Dr.) Miss C.E.Tyler. A most erudite academic who I knew well in the 1960's. She lived at No. 30 Abbeyfield Road, Burngreave with her spinster sister. She was a member of the Society for the Presevation of Rural England, as it was then and a keen Halle Orchestra fan. I remember her trying, unsucessfully, to find a copy of 'Ancient Airs and Dances' by Respighi and lamenting the demise of Harvey's Worcester Cream Sherry ! I think I recall drinking 'Java, Old Government Coffee' at their very Edwardian home. Keen also on birds. What may surprise is that Miss Tyler became a member of Sir Oswald Mosley's Union ( of Europe) Movement in the mid 1960's where she became on good terms with Sir Oswald and Lady Diana. I lost touch with those memorable sisters before they passed on in the 1970's.

I remember Jane Shutt and Dr Tyler. I can picture them both (separately of course). Dr Tyler in tweed suits and her hair in a small flat bun at the base of her neck. I was in Nightingale from 64 to 69,