Abbeydale Grammar School for Girls

I was going to begin a new thread about Abbeydale Girls' Grammar School, but find there are several already. It's good to see so much interest in the school, which of course closed in 1969 when it was combined with Abbeydale Boys and Grange Grammar to form the new 'Abbeydale Grange' comprehensive school. A group of Abbeydale Girls' Grammar 'old girls' have been meeting twice a year for many years for lunch and a chat, not just about our schooldays but also about what we've been doing since. If you attended the school as a pupil or member of staff and would like to join us, do let me know

I was going to begin a new thread about Abbeydale Girls' Grammar School, but find there are several already. It's good to see so much interest in the school, which of course closed in 1969 when it was combined with Abbeydale Boys and Grange Grammar to form the new 'Abbeydale Grange' comprehensive school. A group of Abbeydale Girls' Grammar 'old girls' have been meeting twice a year for many years for lunch and a chat, not just about our schooldays but also about what we've been doing since. If you attended the school as a pupil or member of staff and would like to join us, do let me know

I'm glad to finally get some response to my posting some months ago. As I was at Abbeydale during the war I figured that perhaps those my age were not computer literate to answer, or maybe not around any more. It's nice to know there are those who still meet and chat about the old days at school. As I live in British Columbia I'm not able to join you. My school days are still very much alive with me and although I was never brilliant I nevertheless enjoyed my time at Abbeydale.

Rose8mary.

My late mother attended this school circa 1930. I can't find anything out about it but I think it was probably an independent secondary school that after the 1944 Education Act turned into Abbeydale Girls' Grammar School.

Would like to hear from anyone with information.

I attended Abbeydale High School. It was on the corner of Bannerdale and Carterknowle Road, It was a private school for all ages. I left about 1956 but my brother also attended sometimes the 60's. Miss meays was the headmistress and miss good the deputy head,. I also remember a miss Philips,. Hope this helps.

Does anyone have any information regarding the memorial Acer tree in the left hand quad?

Good evening ladies.

A long-time exile in London, I have only recently discovered the Forum and have been noseying around looking for ex pupils of Stradbroke Junior School. I was in the 4th year there in 58/59. Delighted to see mentions of 4 old classmates - Vernie Alcock, Susan Broadhead, Diane Farrand and Jean Gaunt. I think there may have been 2 more from Stradbroke who went to AGGS - Christine Hardwick and Lorna Downes. Can anyone confirm this?

Stradbroke was a remarkably successful junior school at that time. The Head was a Mr Long and as well as getting so many girls into AGGS he got 5 boys [inc self] into King Teds. So far as I recall only 3 or 4 pupils out of a class of maybe 40 failed the 11plus.

Most KES boys remember Abbeydale girls using our swimming pool. The running track passed right by the pool windows and circuit training was unusually popular on your swimming days.

Good evening ladies.

A long-time exile in London, I have only recently discovered the Forum and have been noseying around looking for ex pupils of Stradbroke Junior School. I was in the 4th year there in 58/59. Delighted to see mentions of 4 old classmates - Vernie Alcock, Susan Broadhead, Diane Farrand and Jean Gaunt. I think there may have been 2 more from Stradbroke who went to AGGS - Christine Hardwick and Lorna Downes. Can anyone confirm this?

Stradbroke was a remarkably successful junior school at that time. The Head was a Mr Long and as well as getting so many girls into AGGS he got 5 boys [inc self] into King Teds. So far as I recall only 3 or 4 pupils out of a class of maybe 40 failed the 11plus.

Most KES boys remember Abbeydale girls using our swimming pool. The running track passed right by the pool windows and circuit training was unusually popular on your swimming days.

Christine Hardwick was in the same form as I was, but I don't remember a Lorna Downes.

I'm still close friends with 3 people who I met in my first year at Abbeydale in 1959. One of them is Susan Broadhead.

Although I was a good swimmer, I hated going to the KE baths - it was always freezing cold. We were never allowed anywhere near the KE lads, so the fact that it was a boys' school didn't compensate. Did you know Victor Edie - he was in the same class as me at junior school.

Edited by susie1
Adding more info

Hi Frances. Perhaps you could put details on here of the reunions?

I'm still close friends with 3 people who I met in my first year at Abbeydale in 1959. One of them is Susan Broadhead.

I've sent you a PM

Although I was a good swimmer, I hated going to the KE baths - it was always freezing cold. We were never allowed anywhere near the KE lads, so the fact that it was a boys' school didn't compensate. Did you know Victor Edie - he was in the same class as me at junior school.

Yes I was in the 6th form with Vic - nice bloke. He went to Birmingham U to do Bacteriology - regret that's all I know of him.

Hi everyone. Only just found this site after being on Friends Reunited since its inception (started by a school friend of my son!) and wondering why Abbeydale old pupils were so reticent! I was at AGGS from 1955-62 in Marvel. My name then was Heather Roxburgh. Enjoyed my school life generally and have lots of memories. Am still friends with 3 people, Margaret Gregory, Josie Russell and Julia Ogden (maiden names) I started with though two others, Eileen Richards and Mary Brown, have sadly died over the years. Would love to hear from anyone who remembers any of us or our years at the school. I remember most of the teachers mentioned, Miss Woodland was responsible for my excellent Maths O level mark, Miss Tyler was our lovely form tutor for the sixth form. We were the first year group to have two sixth form classes as there were so many of us who stayed to do A levels. I have lived in London since coming here to college in '62 but would like to hear about the group of old girls that meets regularly. Anyone got any info on that?

Edited by heatherij

My sister jean would like to find Ann, nee Pollard...lived in cawthorne Grove. Attended abbeydale grammar school from 1950 - 1957. She also studied at Durham university.