Abbeydale Grammar School for Girls

made a booboo should have said 1944 to 1949

My mum went to Abbeydale Grange ! Im not sure when,but shes 76 now ! Did people leave school early then ! Her names Margaret ( Holmes ) ,my Aunty went aswell I think ,her names Janet (Holmes )

I was in Marvel too from 1959-64. Janet Goslin. Do you remember me? Would love to know who you were then. Do you remember Jean Gaunt?

Hi

I knew Jean Gaunt for a while. Lovely girl and very bright. She had left school and was in her first year at Uni. I was still in the 6th at High Storrs Boys. Batting a bit out of my league, I suspected.

I was in Marvel too from 1959-64. Janet Goslin. Do you remember me? Would love to know who you were then. Do you remember Jean Gaunt?

Jacquie Wallace - I remember you Janet and Jean too she used to come to the same youth club with 2 girls from Fry Diane Farrand and Chris Nettleton The latter is a close friend still after all these years as is Diana Stuart who was in Darling

hi gosling,miss Partridge was one of favourites ,she did have a wicked sense of humour, I once asked her "may I pass you miss" and she replied "only with great difficulty and many laxatives"does anyone remember Valerie BEAL,she lived on Norton Lane and was at AGGS when i wasalso Olga Kahn,

My Mum attended AGGS in about 1942/43 Margaret Marshall anyone know her?

My name is Margaret Colley nee Godwin .I attended Abbeydale from 1954 to 1959 and was in Nightingale house.Miss Rawlings was my first teacher she taught French.I was surprised once to see her on This is your life on tv when it was Leslie Joseph(Birds of a Feather)and she had taught her at a school down south.I remember Miss Durrant (science) Miss Bunch Geography Miss Partridge and her cushion Miss Childs Music (broke her ankle skiing down the school fields)and of course Dr Green who could forget her a remarkable woman!Some of my class mates were Linda Skelton now Prosser,Kathleen Fairbrother,Julia Flynn,Susan Clover ,Kathleen Hull,Susan Judd,Carol Pygott, to name but a few.Great school and many happy memories.They dont make them like that anymore mores the pity.It was hard work at the time but it was a good start in life.I left after my o levels and went nursing eventually into Dental Nursing until i married and moved to Chesterfield.I then worked for the Post Office for 29 years in their accounts offices in Chesterfield.Not bad to say i was totally useless at Maths.Love to hear from anyone in my class

I too went to Abbeydale Girls' - from 1959 - 1966. I remember some of the girls mentioned above ie Jean Gaunt and Jackie Wallace. Also lots more:

Ann Beckett, Susan Wales, Susan Broadhead, Vernie Alcock, Christine Booth, Katie Eyre, Katie Sullivan, Jean Hill, Margaret Hetherington, Jean Macintosh, Susan Haynes (and most of the others from my year in Nightingale).

From Darling, I remember Ann Jowle, Margot Broomhead, Margaret Linfoot, Jennifer Donohoe, Helen Pritchard, Elizabeth Styring, Caroline Yellops, Angela Kelly, Yvonne Tummon

From Marvel, Janet Kilner, Janet Turner, Jean Gaunt

From Cavell (some then moved to Fry), Kerry Brittain, Avis Jackman, Diane Farrand, Susan Houldsworth

Etc, etc

It was a fantastic school and I loved my time there, I often think how differently my life would have turned out had I not had the opportunity to go there.

I'm still very close friends with 3 people I met at 11 when we started.

Happy days!

Hi Fairyworld 13, did Janet marry Graham Jones, I ask because he was in my class at Sharrow Lane School and I used to see him now and again in town but haven't seen him for a long time, if it is, how is he? and I also knew Margaret if I am on the right track.

My name is Margaret Colley nee Godwin .I attended Abbeydale from 1954 to 1959 and was in Nightingale house.Miss Rawlings was my first teacher she taught French.I was surprised once to see h

Dear Colleywobble, Do you still have your school photo from those years. I lost mine and would love to find another copy. I was in Cavell house 1954 to 1958 - (had to leave a year early because my guardian needed me to go to work). I was in the school's performance of Gilbert and Sullivan's "The Gondoliers" and loved the visits to City Hall when we learnt music from The Halle Orchestra. We learnt to swim at King Edwards, do you remember that? Strangely enough I do not remember any of my teachers name but I have the signatures of everyone in our class. I think I knew someone called Wendy in your class of Nightingale. I was Joan Turner, married name Baldwin, spent 50 years in Sydney Australia, back in Sheffield now, in Broomhill, near Crosspool renovating an old Coach House. hope you will write back to me regards Joan

Hi Gosling,Just found your post and had a bit of a laugh at your remark about the teachers who went off to be missionaries.I was having a look on google to see if I could find a list of past teachers of AGGS Lists of old students would be good too ! Maybe the archives have these records?