Abbeydale Grammar School for Girls

Several years ago I bought a second-hand copy of The Kon-Tiki  Expedition by Thor Heyerdahl. This book was awarded to Mary Jackson of the Upper 6th in 1961 as a  Sixth Form Prize. In the book is a copy of the Speech Day programme for Friday , 22nd  September , 1961. If anyone wants the programme, they are quite welcome to it.

Edited by fatrajah

On 16/05/2020 at 11:55, sydneygirl said:

Dear Jo,   Kay Willgoose emailed me a brilliant photo of our class.   Although I could not remember any of our teachers apart from Dr. Green I remembered many of the girls in our class.   I remember AGGS fondly these days although much water has passed under the bridge since then.  Hoping you and yours are all well and the rest in our class, considering the size of this pandemic.   If you would like a copy of the photo I can email to you.  PS.  I remember we were the three smallest in our class.   Joan (Turner) Baldwin

Dear Joan,

I'd love a copy of the picture!  How do we organise that? I haven't quite mastered the site logistics yet.

Jo

I was at. Abbedale from 1957 to 1962 and went from there to Melbourne Secretarial College. There are still plenty of us around .  I am in touch with a few. I think maybe they are unaware of this forum.

I was at Abbeydale 56-63 in Darling House. I recognise the names of many of the teachers mentioned over the years of this forum.  I was in a class with 2 girls called Sonia and  there were 4 or 5 called Susan. Joanna,  Mary,  Claire , Julia are among other names. I left Sheffield when I left school to return to my home in Essex. I have returned to the city a few times over the intervening years. This forum, which I have only just found, brought back memories of the those long gone years.

I was at Abbeydale 1957 to 1964 in Cavell House. My maiden name was Margaret Dickinson if anyone remembers me? I was quiet and shy so probably went unnoticed!!

Certainly remember Miss Morris, Maths,  driving her Morris Minor in her tweed suit with hair in roll at back. Miss Hamer teaching Latin and Greek and looking very like  Grecian matriarch with her hair in a plait wound round her head, Miss Pickering, English wearing her very risqué short skirts, Miss Yeardley, PE with slightly protruding teeth and also taught RE........

I have lived in New Zealand since 1973 but would love contact with anyone who remembers those years. Am starting to write down stories of my life but my memory needs a jog to get going!!!

On 07/06/2020 at 17:03, Jo Darley said:

Dear Joan,

I'd love a copy of the picture!  How do we organise that? I haven't quite mastered the site logistics yet.

Jo

Hi Jo,   the Forum did not notify me of your repy and have only just seen your request.    my email address is  [email protected]  so if you are on email I can send the photo over the internet.    The  aol stands for Australia On Line, although we have been living in Sheffield for the past 10 years.   Spent  nearly 50 years in Australia and missing the sunshine (not the 40 degree heat) Joan

Hello - I realise this topic hasn't been commented on in a year....but trying my luck anyway! My Mum (Elaine Day) went to Abbeydale Girls Grammar from 1962 and trying to track down her friend Lorna (or anyone else who remembers her!) as planning a small surprise for her 70th this year. Any info would be amazing!! Miranda x

Hello I have an old school photo album if anyone wants it, I’m based in Blackpool Lancashire UK. Some of you might be in the photos. It’s dated 1930s and is wonderful!!! School buildings and grounds and teachers and trips. My email is [email protected] 

Hello I have an old school photo album if anyone wants it, I’m based in Blackpool Lancashire UK it’s dated 1930s and is wonderful with school buildings, grounds, teachers and trips. My email is [email protected] 

Hello Miranda 82

Yes I do remember Elaine Day.  She was in my A level History set.  I think she was famous for being able to eat a whole apple including the core.  I saw her at  a reunion that was held at a pub, was it when we were all 50ish or something?  She recognised me immediately as she followed me up the stairs!  

On 26/05/2008 at 03:46, sydneygirl said:

This school is becoming an enigma to me. I went to AGGS from 1954 to 1958 leaving at the end of 4th year to go to work instead of staying on for the GCE. (Went to night school instead - did advanced English successfully). I have tried contacting several classmates and no-one ever answers. It's almost as if the school never existed. I recently read one comment "there's not many of us left now!" written by an older AGGS attendee and I am concerned. Are there any of you out there?

I was at Abbeydale from 1950-57 and am also finding it difficult to find out anything.  I was in Cavell House.  After Miss Mitchell, my French and German teacher left, we had a new young teacher for my final 2 years.  I can see her face in my mind's eye, hear her voice, and remember her slightly odd clothes sense (She wore an apple green skirt with a lemon yellow blouse).  For all that she is clearly in my memory I cannot remember her name. My name was Mary Johnson; My surname is now Dale and I have lived in Scotland for 47 years.

Edited by Mary Johnson
forgot to add my name.