Abbeydale Grammar School for Girls

Abbeydale Grammar School For Girls 1964/5

I wish I'd have been your Head-boy lol. I noticed some of you were trying to remember names of your teachers. I hope this list helps. I like to be helpful.

Thanks for the info Zakes, brings back memories for myself and I will pass it on to my sister. I started at Abbeydale in 1962.

I'm trying to reconnect with Carol Pattison an old schoolfriend who attended the school between 1962 and 70. We lost touch when we went to different universities.

She lived a few doors up from me on Cortworth Road in Ecclesall, and had a brother called David.

I have since moved overseas but would love to know where Carol is now and what she's doing. If anyone can help me I would be most grateful. I was Hazel Mills in those days, now Hazel McLoughlin.

Great to hear from you, Hazel.  I don't have contact info for Carol, but I am in touch with quite a few Abbeydale Old Girls, including several from our year so I'll ask them.   Best wishes, Frances Soar

Fantastic to hear from you, Frances. I do remember you.

Carol wasn't in our class and did a year in the US, so finished a year behind us. If you could find out about her, I'd be very grateful.

I left Abbeydale in our second year as my dad went to work in Edinburgh and we moved to Scotland. Carol was still in Sheffield when I went back there to Uni, and we saw a bit of each other then, but lost touch when she went to uni the following year. I don't remember which uni she went to.

What about yourself? Are you still in Sheffield? I've been a bit of a nomad over the years and am now living in Auckland with my husband of 46 years, close to our daughter and her family.

Thanks again for your reply. Lovely to catch up with you. All the best,

Hazel (now McLoughlin)

Just come across this site. I went to Ags from 1963 to 68. You may have known me as bello. I was I n Nightingale with liz Adamson and Pamela bowen. I can remember nearly everyone in my form and my teachers. 😊

I have only just found this. I remember Jackie wallace but I have another connection in that she was brides

Maid at my mother's wedding in 1950 I was at Ags from 1963 to 68 and was in Nightingale with Miss Stannard. 

Did you know Vera Davies, moved to Manchester in about 1951/2

Hello Karen! I was at Abbeydale from 1954 to 1959. I knew your mother, not from school, but she is/was my cousin. I never knew that she went to Abbeydale. I recognise your name from odd reports from family down the years. I hope you get this message.

Flo was head when I was there, and Miss Durrant was head of chemistry.  I was always in trouble, mainly for overenthusiasm, and frequently visited the carpet in Flo's study. I subsequently became head of an independent boarding school and modelled myself on her. It worked really well! I saw her once at Ringinglow and wanted to rush over to her and tell her I was a headteacher, but I didn't dare!

Jo Darley

On 17/07/2014 at 15:15, Cousin Kay said:

How lovely to find this thread! Pudfred, I remember all those teachers. I was there from 1954 in Cavell House (following my big sister who had left by then). Our first form mistress was Miss Williams who also taught music along with Miss Childs. Both of them had crushes on my dad who had the music shop in Sheffield. Miss Woodland was an inspirational teacher of Maths and she also supervised the gardening group. Miss Hancock was our first French teacher but then we had the marvellous Miss Varah, a tiny lady with a wonderfully husky voice due, no doubt, to smoking! I now live in France and think of Miss Varah often as it was she who gave me my love of the language. I too recall Miss Fairey as being very elegant and then there was Miss Bradshaw who taught Art - she left to get married and moved to Rutlandshire. Miss Bunch was sweet and left to move to Devon to live with her sister. Miss Long with the red hair taught history and was in love with the then Shah of Persia. Like most of the girls, I was in awe of Doctor Florence Mary Green who wore a mannish tweed suit in winter and a print frock in summer. At one time I worked at the Crucible Theatre; the theatre archivist was a friend of Dr. Green and she arranged for us to meet. She had hardly changed (I think she was still wearing the same suit!) and was utterly charming, remembering both my sister and my father. When he died she sent me a very kind letter. They don't make 'em like that any more!

Dear Kay, I remember you well and all the people you mention. Vicki Kennell became my best friend for many years until she moved to London for her nursing training.

Jo Darley

On 21/04/2020 at 10:38, Jo Darley said:

Dear Kay, I remember you well and all the people you mention. Vicki Kennell became my best friend for many years until she moved to London for her nursing training.

Jo Darley

Dear Jo,   Kay Willgoose emailed me a brilliant photo of our class.   Although I could not remember any of our teachers apart from Dr. Green I remembered many of the girls in our class.   I remember AGGS fondly these days although much water has passed under the bridge since then.  Hoping you and yours are all well and the rest in our class, considering the size of this pandemic.   If you would like a copy of the photo I can email to you.  PS.  I remember we were the three smallest in our class.   Joan (Turner) Baldwin

Attended Abbeydale 1957 to 1962. First teacher was Miss Pickering . Remember Mrs Smith, Miss Bunch, Miss Durrant, Miss Patterson, Miss Yeardley and of course, Dr.Green. Visited the place a few years ago and wandered round. By that time it was a rental office development.. Sad it is no more.