Abbeydale Grammar School for Girls

Good to hear from someone in my class, Sydney Girl, but don't know your proper name. I don't remember Vicky but do remember Veronica who had long fair plaits and was a lovely girl. I also recall Pauline Roebuck who had a good singing voice. I wonder if she made it her career? My best friend was Linda Jackson who joined us in the second year. She had thought I was the most popular girl in school because on the first day of term everyone crowded round me as I had been in Lodge Moor Hospital ill with polio throughout the summer holidays! By chance I worked with Linda's dad when I was doing some temping at Firth-Vickers. After doing various secretarial jobs I became Production Assistant at the Crucible Theatre then moved to Coventry to the Belgrade Theatre and eventually ran my own theatrical agency. Moved around a lot including Gozo and finally ended up here in rural France.

---------- Post added 24-03-2015 at 07:03 ----------

Sydny Girl, I've just seen your earlier post - Hi, Joan!

Hi Kay, Where are you in France. Write to me via email: my address is: , working as exec secretary. Are you on Facebook? Lovely to hear from you and hope to catch up on your news. Joan

Edited by sydneygirl

I have a photograph of the girls from classes 2b and 3b 1944 and 1945 with all girls named: they are Betty Clarke, Nancy pye, Gwen edge, Margaret hunter, Barbara singleton, philis godhard, Rita moon, Margaret ashmore, Rita Carr, Sheila barge, pat Morton, Hester Morgan, Barbara dickenson, Joan Davies, Audrey malkin, Margaret davison, margaret buttery, Joan withers, carol douthwaite, Miss Bunch, Sheila hall, Dorothy belk, pat biggin, Barbara Taylor

Anyone with an interest in anyone listed please contact me for copy of photo.

I was in Marvel too from 1959-64. Janet Goslin. Do you remember me? Would love to know who you were then. Do you remember Jean Gaunt?

Who was Marvel named after?

---------- Post added 21-09-2015 at 09:54 ----------

Hi there, my name was Georgina Bishop. I went to AGGS from 1954 'til 1960 & remember all the teachers mentioned. I was well acquainted with Dr Green as I was frequently outside her office waiting to be caned. She must have been fed up with me. I was in Marvel (yellow) house. I can still reel the register of class names off by heart!!! I recently found out that my friend, Wendy Carson's death is on the 'Star' obituary column. I would love to hear from anyone with any news.

Who was Marvel named after?

Alice Marval, who died caring for plague victims in India.

Calling 1955 to 1962! It would be rather amazing and daunting to be reacquainted with old friends in my form (Marval) and others in the same year.

Is anyone there?

No, Margaret Harris was a friend from St Chads Youth club. She had a sister called Janet & her Father Ernest was a collegue of mine for many years at Tyzack Sons & Turner, where we were both Sales Representatives.

I lived on strelley Road & was a member of the Steel City Stompers.

---------- Post added 03-05-2016 at 08:51 ----------

No, Margaret was a friend at St Chads Youth Club. She had a sister called Janet & her Father Ernest was a sales Rep. for many years, as I was, with Tyzack Sons & Turner. I lived on Strelley Road & was a meber of the Steel City Stompers Jazz Band in the fifties.

This website does not open except to show a blank page and when I googled the site was told it carried a virus .... so anyone opening this web take care.

Hi Janis, I remember you. I was in Marval at the same time as you. I`ve driven past and seen whats happening to our school. Old Flo would be turning in her grave, I think.

Hi, I was also in Marval from 62-69

I was at the school from 1942 to 1947 and boarded with the Headmistress, Helen Meays. My name then was Patricia Carlin. Was anyone else who is on the Forum there at that time?