Abbeydale Grammar School for Girls

we were never allowed to go up to the top of the fields, just in case we were seen by the boys. I remember one summer being told off because we were sunbathing on the field and my knees were exposed!!!

Hi there, my name was Georgina Bishop. I went to AGGS from 1954 'til 1960 & remember all the teachers mentioned. I was well acquainted with Dr Green as I was frequently outside her office waiting to be caned. She must have been fed up with me. I was in Marvel (yellow) house. I can still reel the register of class names off by heart!!! I recently found out that my friend, Wendy Carson's death is on the 'Star' obituary column. I would love to hear from anyone with any news.

Haven't seen Wendy Carson since 1969 but we were friends at Lydgate Junior school. Sad to hear she's passed away.

How lovely to find this thread! Pudfred, I remember all those teachers. I was there from 1954 in Cavell House (following my big sister who had left by then). Our first form mistress was Miss Williams who also taught music along with Miss Childs. Both of them had crushes on my dad who had the music shop in Sheffield. Miss Woodland was an inspirational teacher of Maths and she also supervised the gardening group. Miss Hancock was our first French teacher but then we had the marvellous Miss Varah, a tiny lady with a wonderfully husky voice due, no doubt, to smoking! I now live in France and think of Miss Varah often as it was she who gave me my love of the language. I too recall Miss Fairey as being very elegant and then there was Miss Bradshaw who taught Art - she left to get married and moved to Rutlandshire. Miss Bunch was sweet and left to move to Devon to live with her sister. Miss Long with the red hair taught history and was in love with the then Shah of Persia. Like most of the girls, I was in awe of Doctor Florence Mary Green who wore a mannish tweed suit in winter and a print frock in summer. At one time I worked at the Crucible Theatre; the theatre archivist was a friend of Dr. Green and she arranged for us to meet. She had hardly changed (I think she was still wearing the same suit!) and was utterly charming, remembering both my sister and my father. When he died she sent me a very kind letter. They don't make 'em like that any more!

Hi Cousin Kay (whoever you are!)

Seriously it was lovely to read your comments and totally agree with your summing up of Doc Green! I went into the teaching profession in 1960 & met up with her when back in Sheffield, before my marriage, when I served on Old Girls' Association Committee. Saw a very different side of her then but today's kids would get a rude awakening ( as would some of today's teachers) if they were to encounter a head like she was! It would not do some of them any harm in my humble opinion!

I remember Miss Long very well & I do know that she returned to her home area of West Yorkshire to take up a very senior position in a senior school.

There really were some great women at Abbeydale but in all honesty I do not think that many would have faired well in a large inner city mixed comprehensive. Some of them would have been eaten alive!!!

Thank you for your comments. Best wishes!

Edited by Pudfred
To put right a mistake.

Hello again, Pudfred. I'm Kay Willgoose. Were you in the same year as I? Btw I made a slight typo - it was Miss Bone who went to Devon, not Miss Bunch. I still have a photograph of the entire school, pupils and staff, with Dr. Green sitting in the middle, actually smiling. I think we were a very lucky generation to receive the education that we did.

Hi there Kay

I was at Abbeydale from '51 to '58 so perhaps a little ahead of you but our paths must have crossed. I was head of Nightingale from '57 to '58. Think Miss Bunch lived with another Geographer who made some outstanding gaffes in her time including........Sheffield would be flat if it was not for the hills! Oh what glorious memories! Cheers, Pauline

Girl on our road used to go there Janet Styring I think was her name she used to have mates round who always looked well dressed up.We used to call them the girls from Grange Glamour school.

My Sister went there from about 1953 to about 1959 ( Cant be too exact). Her name was Angela Margaret Russell.. She is Married, has a grown up Daughter and still lives in Sheffield.

---------- Post added 15-10-2014 at 05:22 ----------

My Siter went there from about 1952 to about 1958. Cant be exact. Name Angela Margaret Russell

Hello again, Pudfred. I'm Kay Willgoose. Were you in the same year as I? Btw I made a slight typo - it was Miss Bone who went to Devon, not Miss Bunch. I still have a photograph of the entire school, pupils and staff, with Dr. Green sitting in the middle, actually smiling. I think we were a very lucky generation to receive the education that we did.

Kay, I remember you. I was in your class and I think you used to sit near Veronica Croft and Vicky Kennel. I lost my school photo unfortunately with all the travelling I have done with my hubby. Loved the music classes. Remember the names of most of the girls in our class and definitely remember Dr. Green. She terrified me, but then I was easily terrified. I wish I could have stayed on for the GCE as I think I would have achieved my certificate. Had to work. Kay, what road did you follow when you left school? Lot of info on Friends Reunited - AGGS

NB If anyone remembers Kathleen Kelsey she passed away 2003. She was my next door neighbour at Wadsley Bridge.

---------- Post added 17-02-2015 at 19:07 ----------

I remember Miss Tomlinson was our Geography teacher - really nice -and the first year 1954 we did Australia which really paid off for me. Like taking coals to Newcastle!!! Some of the girls are on the website "Friends Reunited

Edited by sydneygirl
adding a note.

Hi there, my name was Georgina Bishop. I went to AGGS from 1954 'til 1960 & remember all the teachers mentioned. I was well acquainted with Dr Green as I was frequently outside her office waiting to be caned. She must have been fed up with me. I was in Marvel (yellow) house. I can still reel the register of class names off by heart!!! I recently found out that my friend, Wendy Carson's death is on the 'Star' obituary column. I would love to hear from anyone with any news.

Hi Georgie, are you still out there somewhere? I was Jacqueline Kirk then, and have often wondered what happened to everybody, how it all turned out, and where they are now.

Abbeydale was an exceptional school, and probably helped make us all into very individual special people......or at least allowed us to think we were, which is half the battle!!

I'm very new to this forum as I found it by chance, but I was delighted to see your name, and hope that perhaps we can find others.

---------- Post added 23-03-2015 at 15:18 ----------

Anyone remember Wendy Carson 1954-59?
I remember Wendy too. She was in our class, pretty, always pleasant and full of fun. It's sad news.

Good to hear from someone in my class, Sydney Girl, but don't know your proper name. I don't remember Vicky but do remember Veronica who had long fair plaits and was a lovely girl. I also recall Pauline Roebuck who had a good singing voice. I wonder if she made it her career? My best friend was Linda Jackson who joined us in the second year. She had thought I was the most popular girl in school because on the first day of term everyone crowded round me as I had been in Lodge Moor Hospital ill with polio throughout the summer holidays! By chance I worked with Linda's dad when I was doing some temping at Firth-Vickers. After doing various secretarial jobs I became Production Assistant at the Crucible Theatre then moved to Coventry to the Belgrade Theatre and eventually ran my own theatrical agency. Moved around a lot including Gozo and finally ended up here in rural France.

---------- Post added 24-03-2015 at 07:03 ----------

Sydny Girl, I've just seen your earlier post - Hi, Joan!