Abbeydale Grammar School for Girls

I was going to begin a new thread about Abbeydale Girls' Grammar School, but find there are several already. It's good to see so much interest in the school, which of course closed in 1969 when it was combined with Abbeydale Boys and Grange Grammar to form the new 'Abbeydale Grange' comprehensive school. A group of Abbeydale Girls' Grammar 'old girls' have been meeting twice a year for many years for lunch and a chat, not just about our schooldays but also about what we've been doing since. If you attended the school as a pupil or member of staff and would like to join us, do let me know.

Wonderful to read these stories of Abbeydale where I spent 1951-1958 & the great times I remember so vividly after all these years! Teachers were nearly all spinsters but devoted to the school. I remember Morris .... Maths, Partridge ..... English , Badger & Long .... History, Fairey..... English(she was so elegant & a member of the Fairey Aviation Family) , Bunch & Tomlinson.... Geography, Evans ....French, Mrs. Harrison & Mrs.Thomlinson ..... P.E to name but a few! Made some wonderful friendships some of which I have still.....Joan Holloway, Miriam Button. What happened to so many others? Barbara Hukin,Patricia Wight,Carol Wright,Chritina Williams,Patricia Peterkins,Mavis Carroll to name another few! Can anyone remember me? Pauline Underwood now 74 &counting! Lovst contact with so many as I have lived in Co. Durham for over 50 years now. Can anyone remember the wonderful grounds around the school where we played hockey, cricket & netball and had a full day of Sport in July? There were four houses &I was honoured to be Head of Nightingale. Dr. Green was indeed a formidable character who was permanently imprinted into your mind.....unforgettable!!! Very soon after the war she set up an exchange scheme with the Wilhelm Raber Schule in Hannover Germany which proved very successful over many years. I enjoyed a month there in 1953! Please reply if you have an affinity with any of this info! Best wishes.

Edited by Pudfred
I have remembered more names

Hi Fairyworld 13, did Janet marry Graham Jones, I ask because he was in my class at Sharrow Lane School and I used to see him now and again in town but haven't seen him for a long time, if it is, how is he? and I also knew Margaret if I am on the right track.

Oh my goodness , you are on the right track . Janet did indeed marry Graham & they are my Auntie & Uncle. Margaret is my Mum & Janet is OK , but Graham isn't well . Mum married Derek Wragg who VERY SADLY died a few years ago having suffered with dementia. Mum went to Sharrow Lane because I remember her telling me . She did love Abbeydale though & often speaks about Dr Green . What a character she sounded. Isnt it a small world :hihi:

Does anyone remember Judith Day, she'd be at Abbydale from about 61 to 66 ?

Used to live at Hillsborough and after leaving school went to Richmond College

Hi everyone. Only just found this site after being on Friends Reunited since its inception (started by a school friend of my son!) and wondering why Abbeydale old pupils were so reticent! I was at AGGS from 1955-62 in Marvel. My name then was Heather Roxburgh. Enjoyed my school life generally and have lots of memories. Am still friends with 3 people, Margaret Gregory, Josie Russell and Julia Ogden (maiden names) I started with though two others, Eileen Richards and Mary Brown, have sadly died over the years. Would love to hear from anyone who remembers any of us or our years at the school. I remember most of the teachers mentioned, Miss Woodland was responsible for my excellent Maths O level mark, Miss Tyler was our lovely form tutor for the sixth form. We were the first year group to have two sixth form classes as there were so many of us who stayed to do A levels. I have lived in London since coming here to college in '62 but would like to hear about the group of old girls that meets regularly. Anyone got any info on that?

I think at least 3 girls from Lydgate went to Abbeydale in 1954. Wendy Carson, Susan Williams and Judith Baildon. Maybe Veronica Croft.

There were only four houses in our year. Someone has added "MARVEL" as a fifth house.. Not too sure we had this one. Elizabeth Fry was the yellow house and I think Fry replace the name Marvel. As I remember from sports events only four colours: blue, green, yellow and red...cavell; darling; fry and nightingale.

I was in Marval and yes I think it replaced Fry as this house wasnt in existence when I was there in the late 60s. We had, Cavell, Nightingale, Marval and Darling

Hi I was at Abbeydale from 1962-69 in Nightingale. My maiden name was Janis Angus. Today I went with my friend Jo to look round the school before it closed. What a shame they are going to knock it down but it was great fun to look round and reminisce. The hall was just the same and all the green tiling and wooden floors etc were still there

Does anyone remember Sheryl Thomas? She would have been there from 1965. She was my next door neighbour at Woodhouse, she went to Abbbeydale when I went to Hinde House. They eventually moved and I often wonder what happened to her,

Hi I was at Abbeydale from 1962-69 in Nightingale. My maiden name was Janis Angus. Today I went with my friend Jo to look round the school before it closed. What a shame they are going to knock it down but it was great fun to look round and reminisce. The hall was just the same and all the green tiling and wooden floors etc were still there

Hi Janis, I remember you. I was in Marval at the same time as you. I`ve driven past and seen whats happening to our school. Old Flo would be turning in her grave, I think.

What's happening to the site? Has it been pulled down? Is a new developmemt been planned and is it linked to the boys site? Is the playing field site going to be developed?

Apologies for all the questions.

As far as we can make out the building is going to be handed over to the contractors next week and will be pulled down around June time. Then I think the plan is to build some apartments on the site together with the former boys' school site.

The previous news makes me so sad! This really is the end of an era for me. I have so many wonderful memories of the years 1951 - 1958 spent at this great grammar school which made so much of an impression on my life. Whist I realise that all things change it reminds me as to how different education is today &not always for the better in my humble opinion. Best wishes to any former 'old girls' who might read this. Pauline Underwood nee May (Nightingale House) Cheers!

At the boys grammar school we used to hang about at the top of the field trying to get a glimpse of the girls through the woods. Raids were planned but, to my knowledge, never executed.