The Mobile Phone Mast Debate

Originally posted by Herbert

This is not about NIMBYism it is about having masts nowhere that is inappropriate. That to me means in very close proximity to where people live in which ever post code.

But in a densely populated city, masts, as roads, will inevitably be close to someone, if not some-many.

If you, and your neighbours have mobile phones, and therefore require masts, where are you suggesting they go?

There seem to be enough original masts to support the current volume usage of mobile phones.. this issue is about 3G or 3rd generation masts that are required for picture/movie messaging. Its not about the mast being in Fulwood! There is plenty of waste ground around here where they could erect it. And yes there are still hundreds more required in and around Sheffield.

They used to be able to put these things on top of the tower blocks around Sheffield where no-one would be bothered by them, but now all the blocks are being demolished they have to go at ground level.

Hey, i live in Nethergreen which is in close proximity to the proposed mast site, personally as an avid user of mobile phones i welcome the mast and all its benifits.

There is practically no eveidance to sujest that the masts are harmful, they are only an eyesore and one which i think is easily rivaled by the rich occupants of this area's 4X4's.

The mast protesters only concern is the price's of their houses and they have crudley disquised this by saying they what they are worried about is their childrens health, which is both immoral and selfish.

Originally posted by leddi

There seem to be enough original masts to support the current volume usage of mobile phones.. this issue is about 3G or 3rd generation masts that are required for picture/movie messaging. Its not about the mast being in Fulwood! There is plenty of waste ground around here where they could erect it. And yes there are still hundreds more required in and around Sheffield.

The jury is still out on the health aspect of these masts. What I object to is that these eyesores are going up all over the place, with possible health implications, just so that some nonce can send a piccy of him/her and their mates in the pub to other mates in another pub. Can anyone really tell me a legitimate use for these phones? They've been banned by a lot of companies worried about industrial espionage, there are concerns re paedophiles, real or imagined, as well as invasion of privacy issues, and I really can't see any serious application.:rant:

I would have thought the strength of the radio waves from one of those 3G masts is only a fraction of that emitted by the TV transmitter at Crosspool (top of Lydgate Lane).

That's been there donkeys years, is near housing and bang opposite a school - haven't heard of any sickness scares from that.

I think you need to search the internet a little more. There is certainly some anecdotal comment on illness around that mast.

Anecdotal comments - backed up by what concrete facts?

Well facts like cancer clusters around the Crosspool mast.

Interested.

Have lived within a mile or so for years, plus worked with people from the area and there's never been a concern voiced from any of them.

Evidence - especially medical or scientific (not anecdotal comment from anti-mast sites) please.

A quick google search.

Your search - crosspool cancer clusters - did not match any documents.

I just did the same and came up with a blank too :confused:

I will have to do a check tomorrow - there was certainly some fuss about it from the parents of the primary school on Lydgate Lane a while ago.

For now... http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread/t-10234.html

BTw, I'm pretty agnostic in this debate.