Cat owners- in or out at night.

Do you like you cat inside or outside all night?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like you cat inside or outside all night?

This is inspired by another thread asking how to get a cat to come inside at night. Opinion amongst cat owners seems divided on whether a cat should be inside all night or put out for the night.

Which is your preference?

So far ours are too little to go out at all, but we have every intention of them being in at night.

they are more likely to get hurt if they are out at night, and more likely to kill small creatures too, so for the sake of both we won't want them out after tea at all.

We have a patio door on our bedroom which we have been leaving open during the summer. The night before last I woke at 2.15am to find next doors cat sat on the bedside drawers! So they thought he was out but he was in!

I'm a firm believer of my furries being inside with me and knowing that they are in and safe overnight. I also don't have a catflap for the same reason.

Not only are they at greater risk of being hurt and hunting, but housecats also can and do suffer from hypothermia and exposure on cold nights.

I too prefer Sadie to be in at night - was it my thread you refered to? I worry when she is out when it's dark and sleep better knowing she is safe in the house.

I leave the door open for an hour before I go to bed, I expect him to stay out but he rarely does, he likes his home comforts too much.

Plus, if he does stay out, I have a cat kennel for him in the garden that he likes.

All the cats I ever had have had the choice of whether they want to go in or out at whatever time of day - after all as far as a cat sees it - you're just the hired help.

We have 2 cats now, a queen and a male. They do not roam as we saw 2 youths throw a defenceless cat in the path of an oncoming lorry, it was hit but did not die instantly. It lept off with a trail of blood and was found the next day curled up in some bushes near to the cemetary dead. On another instance my son came in from school crying and grabbing me at the sametime

he tried telling me something but i could not understand , so i followed him to the bottom of our road and i saw for myself what he was trying to tell me. there was 2 youths with something in a box , and they were throwing something in the box and tried to set the box on fire. when i shouted they ran off which left me to go and see what they were doing, they were only trying to to set a live cat on fire. sorry it was not a cat but a kitten. This kitten ended up dieing through its injury's.

this is reason why we dont let our pets roam. We would prefer to have them under our feet and on the back garden then let the scum around here kill them.

We have 2 cats now, a queen and a male. They do not roam as we saw 2 youths throw a defenceless cat in the path of an oncoming lorry, it was hit but did not die instantly. It lept off with a trail of blood and was found the next day curled up in some bushes near to the cemetary dead. On another instance my son came in from school crying and grabbing me at the sametime

he tried telling me something but i could not understand , so i followed him to the bottom of our road and i saw for myself what he was trying to tell me. there was 2 youths with something in a box , and they were throwing something in the box and tried to set the box on fire. when i shouted they ran off which left me to go and see what they were doing, they were only trying to to set a live cat on fire. sorry it was not a cat but a kitten. This kitten ended up dieing through its injury's.

this is reason why we dont let our pets roam. We would prefer to have them under our feet and on the back garden then let the scum around here kill them.

Thats horrible, just horrible.

Some people.... jeez.

Our cats go out all night. Less traffic and no birds hopping on the lawn. They curl up contented all day, have a late feed and practically beg to go out at night they're so used to it.

Ours go out, they yowl (? spelling) loud and long if they are in, so not much chance. They have access to the garage where we have a couple of cosy cat boxes, however they seem to be rarely used except on coldest nights. I do worry but they are very independent and dislike being in all night.

Ours have a cat flap and do as they please however it is lockable for bonfire night and similar things and if one is ill they stay in.

They don't get as much chance to come and go during the day because of the dogs so when the dogs are locked in the kitchen at night they can come and go as they please.