The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

i charge 30 for the first 1 then 80 for each one after that .. i find i make more money that way . :)

but some poeple only want one doing in which case i dont ...

i may have to re think my pricing structure some what .

as the alpha, i would fix it with a shiny new baxi . :) alphas are a money pit .

Hi all. The header tank for my C/H in the loft has the usual cold water inlet controlled by a ballcock. There is also a swan-necked pipe above the tank which is intermittently filling the tank to overflow level. What is this pipe and what can I do about it ? All suggestions gratefully received.

That 'swan-necked' pipe is the expansion. If water is coming out of that there are a couple of 'quick fixes'. Find your heating pump, on the side there is a speed selector (probably set to max...number 3), you can try knocking this down to 2. Also the expansion pipe should go up and over the tank and clear the water level by about 450mm (ish...I think), this can be extended to achieve the correct clearance if it is not already correct.

Really you need to know why it is 'pumping over'. If this is a new development then most likely the 'H' section has become sludged therefore water is circulating via easiest route ie right up and over. Almost certainly your heating system needs a good flush because ultimately the sludge will damage your pump and boiler and that will be more costly in the long run. Hope this helps, cheers, Steve

Hi all. The header tank for my C/H in the loft has the usual cold water inlet controlled by a ballcock. There is also a swan-necked pipe above the tank which is intermittently filling the tank to overflow level. What is this pipe and what can I do about it ? All suggestions gratefully received.

Agree with Steve, pumping over is almost certainly due to a blocked and sludged up system. turning the pump speed down is just a temporary fix.

hi

our combi-boiler is on the way out. we have had a couple of repairs done but not gone as successfully as hoped. it is time for a new one!

we live in a 2 bedroom flat on the top floor of 3.

next week we are having n-power and british gas round along with a couple of local guys to provide quotes.

with regards to n-power, i am aware they use the valiant range. i would be grateful for any tips on this range - are there any models we should avoid? do we need to be getting the best one available?

also, these models range from 600 to 800 quid to buy. what additional costs could we expect? i know it can be hard to guess but a ball park figure would be great.

many thanks

If your getting British Gas in expect £1000 more expensive than the local guys, N-Power probably the same :hihi:

There guys on the forum that come highly recommended. Try JL Heating.

Thanks to Pete, Bonny2, Corgigasman, Complete Heat and others. Believe the problem was caused a couple of weeks ago when the system was drained to allow a replacement rad and associated valves to be fitted. Has now settled down and no further input to the header tank from the expansion pipe.

Ta again.

Yes, N-power generally fit vaillants (subbed for them too) and I always try to steer customers that way. Other engineers have their own favourites but I recommend vaillant, baxi platinum good also (5yr man. guarantee).Knowing BG and N-power pricing, generally N-power are 15% less than BG and I usually beat N-power by 15% for identical job. Should be straight forward to compare several quotes, good luck, Steve

I think your wise to get several quotes, however you will find the larger companies like N-power considerably more expensive. They may try to lure you with offers of credit over a number of years. This will only turn out to be more expensive in the long run.

We are currently fitting Viessmann boilers with 5 years parts and labour warranty and 4 years free servicing.

With regards to payment, we accept cash, cheque, credit & debit cards

For a free quote call 0800 6529250 ask for steve

no offence mr peacock but have you tried to get parts for veissman yet ? (within the warrantee period ? its a joke. I'm sure andy at complete has had similar problems when he was subbing to BG.

I agree Micky. No doubting that Viessmann boilers are a cracking combi. but because they aren't established in the UK its difficult to get hold of parts (unless you are on one of their approved installer schemes).

quite a few of the installers also don't know how to repair them. I went to one which had faulty hall sensor on the fan and it took 10 days to get the spare part... OK the customer did not have to pay and i was reimbursed for labour, but 10 days without hot water or central heating.

Same part for a Vaillant or Baxi is 'on the shelf' at Heat-Parts.

Hi guys

This is probably the wrong time of year to be asking, but is anyone free to give me a quote for a new combi boiler, radiator valves, a single rad, and removing the old boiler and tanks?

I'm in Intake

Thanks for your help

Jamie