The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

Of course BG charge more, there operating costs are much higher. However, some people will pay that extra amount just because it's British Gas. They do provide an excellent after service.

There is NO way you can compare a Vaillant boiler with a Glowworm, even though Vaillant now owns the Glowworm company. Both boilers use the same type of heat exchanger, but all gloworms still have those nasty plastic hydroblocks that 'pinhole' like crazy....

Get a few independent installers in to give you some quotes and opt for the best boiler that your budget allows

cheers micky think u passed on a breakdown last week at darnall

No problems. I new you were local I worked on a house near yours once.

look at me like norman bates lol

Of course BG charge more, there operating costs are much higher. However, some people will pay that extra amount just because it's British Gas. They do provide an excellent after service.

There is NO way you can compare a Vaillant boiler with a Glowworm, even though Vaillant now owns the Glowworm company. Both boilers use the same type of heat exchanger, but all gloworms still have those nasty plastic hydroblocks that 'pinhole' like crazy....

Get a few independent installers in to give you some quotes and opt for the best boiler that your budget allows

agree with andy wouldn't touch glowworm, due to hydra block. personally I fit baxi with a 5 year warantee.

Hi all,

Help !!!!

We currently have an Alpha CB24 combi boiler.

Recently we have started to experience an intermittent problem with the hot water, where it runs fine then goes cold for 30 seconds before resuming hot.

This problem doens't appear to be as bad when the central heating (which works fine) is on.

The boiler is 6 years old and having read through the paperwork with it has had a new PCB + leads in 2005 ?

All help greatly appreciated

Been to quite a few of these with exactly the same probs. More often than not its a blocked DHW plate heat exchanger. Alpha's are prone to blocking because they sit on top of the d/v (same as Ideal!!) and sludge settles.

Easy to change for a new one ( or some installers clean them out with X400). The inlet filter will also need cleaning out.

Replace the DHW thermister at the same time cos it will be covered in scale.

This is a question for all you heating experts.

I have a large radiator in the bedroom which when its on is just TOO hot. The rest of the house is great but the bedroom is boiling.

I know that some kind of thermostat device can be fitted to a radiator but is it a big job? Does all of the system have to be drained etc??

Many thanks

not a big job at all to change a valve to a trv and will save you a few pennies on your gas bills.As for the system being drained we some times bung an open vent system causing a vacuum in the system letting us change parts without draining the whole system if its a sealed system (combi) its even easier. In regards to the alpha fault ive had a ntc causing this problem aswell as the microswitch on the diverter but as said it could be the plate heat exchanger http://www.ignitiongasservices.co.uk

i thought of that little plastic flowswitch but when they're faulty don't they just go open circuit - so no hot water at all ??

Hi all,

Help !!!!

We currently have an Alpha CB24 combi boiler.

Recently we have started to experience an intermittent problem with the hot water, where it runs fine then goes cold for 30 seconds before resuming hot.

This problem doens't appear to be as bad when the central heating (which works fine) is on.

The boiler is 6 years old and having read through the paperwork with it has had a new PCB + leads in 2005 ?

All help greatly appreciated

Agree with andy. it could also be diverter valve or thermistor a quick visit would soon find out. Alpha are pretty easy to fix

i thought of that little plastic flowswitch but when they're faulty don't they just go open circuit - so no hot water at all ??

In the last week I've done 3 alpha diverter valves simlar problem on the cb range.

This is a question for all you heating experts.

I have a large radiator in the bedroom which when its on is just TOO hot. The rest of the house is great but the bedroom is boiling.

I know that some kind of thermostat device can be fitted to a radiator but is it a big job? Does all of the system have to be drained etc??

Many thanks

you'd probably be better having all the house done. you can the contol all the radiators. I charge £80 for the first one £30 every vlave thereafter.