The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

i have a gas central heating boiler which is ancient and in need of replacing, with this climate where gas seems to be getting more expensive and getting in short supply has anyone got experience of newer electric central heating boilers as in their running costs etc. also does anyone know if it is possible to get a grant to go green with replacing ancient central heating systems

mel

Im running a 12kw Electric Central heating boiler, no gas in property.

Out Electric bill comes to around £220 per quarter. Large 3 bed Bungalow, but well insulated.

Look into other sources as well, depending where you are depends on grants, Look at maybe, Air source heating and hot water, Ground Source systems etc. Not that cheap, but back is very quick and well worth the money

Some useful links

Click here

And again

and here

My boiler...

They cost more to run. I've fitted a few but only in rural areas(they are cheaper than oilor lpg but not natural gas) If you like a quote either way please call.

You could get solar hot water (about £1,500 to install) and a normal (non-combi) boiler.

They cost more to run. I've fitted a few but only in rural areas(they are cheaper than oilor lpg but not natural gas) If you like a quote either way please call.

I cant compare against anything as ive never had Gas.

Ive got a Electric boiler and compared to my parents house, and my missus parents and a few of my friends it works out cheaper to run my electric boiler then it does for them for gas and electric.

If your really wanting to save money, go for air source or ground source.

You could get solar hot water (about £1,500 to install) and a normal (non-combi) boiler.

where can you get solar installed and fitted for £`1500 because I'll have some of that. last scaffold we had for installing solar panel was £600 panels are about £1500.

I agree Micky... good quality solar panels start from about £1500...then add onto that pipework, drainback system, cylinder etc. Then as you said the cost of scaffold and fitting.

There are however some people buying in DIY panels and kits imported from China...poor quality but very cheap.

As we know, in this industry you get what you pay for buddy

ive just had British Gas round to quote me for removing my old boiler and tanks etc and replacing it with a Combi, also powerfush. its more than i was expecting. how do their prices compair to to other companies or local businesses or will they all be about the same?

ive just had British Gas round to quote me for removing my old boiler and tanks etc and replacing it with a Combi, also powerfush. its more than i was expecting. how do their prices compair to to other companies or local businesses or will they all be about the same?

Give me a ring. Last time we quoted like for like with Bg we were half their price.

Ring one of us of the forum we all have plenty of references. exactly the same qualifications. I also think I fit better boilers with a longer guarantee(5years).

i will do, there does seem to be so many to choose from on here though...

just to go back to prices, do British Gas charge alot more than most other people then?

they suggested a gloworm combi, anygood?